1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diversity

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by oscaroscaroscar, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I have zero problems with old wooden ships. [/just getting it out of the way font]

2. BrianM

BrianM Member

If the contention here is that a white reporter couldn't do a really good job of understanding or covering the problems of black athletes, black communities, or, hell, a black President, I think that's demonstrably untrue. And conversely, I know there are black reporters that can do excellent work covering issues that involve a group of white people. I always thought that the whole goal of civil rights was to insure content of someone's character was supposed to be more important than the color of their skin.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That you for sharing that. I suspect there are many many many such stories.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So a staff that once had 20 writers and 3 minorities (15 percent) is now better at 10 staffers and 2 minorities (20 percent) in the grand diversity counter?

I'm not against it. I just can't listen to it in this market. And to differ with someone on the other thread where this chat began, that's not how SportsJournalists.com has always been. I think more people have turned against the concept of diversity as it has become near impossible for ANYONE to be hired and retained.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Diversity at smaller and mid-sized papers remains useful and important. It's in these markets where a minority presence actually creates a new voice that may be underrepresented in the community.

Usually, however, when a minority shows "developable" talent these days, internship coordinators sweep them up and plug them into the biggest markets possible. And some of these minorities frankly wash out. Some of them wash out really quick. Or some get lost in the shuffle because they're not quite ready for a major-league market. This same person might be a wonderful preps reporter. Or excellent on a Division II college beat. But they don't get the modest opportunity; they get the starry-eyed one.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does anyone know of an established African-American writer at a big paper or website who lost their job during layoffs over the last four years who couldn't find another writing job?

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Lonnie White.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is well put.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

What coaches do you happen to be dealing with, who should lose their jobs be questioned regarding such views?

Indeed.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lonnie was on my team at FanHouse. Terrific guy. Has been sick, wasn't able to write as much as he wanted. Did some super stuff for us. And this is a reminder that I need to call him.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is very true.

We had a situation in college where the students who had been published the most and had the most experience were getting passed over for minority candidates who had yet to get even a single clip. That was very frustrating. When you've been busting your ass writing while in college and the guy who get the WP internship doesn't have a single clip, it tells you how fucked up the system is.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ummm... none.

They judge a player by size, speed, strength and ability. They could give a shit where they are from.

Draft saved Draft deleted