1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diversity takes another hit in journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, May 19, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If a "large" and alarming number of minority journalists have been let go, then at least the diversity hiring was working well prior to the latest shit storm. Got to be in the door first before you can be let go. ;)

Your "already dwindling pool" at the end of that sentence thus seems contradictory and, frankly, boilerplate from some leftover arguments way at the front end of this hiring agenda.

And you might want to separate the places that have laid off minority journalists into a list of those that are required by union contracts to follow a reverse-seniority policy for layoffs and those newsrooms that are not. If the most recent people to be hired into what has been a pretty stagnant industry for a while were ... I don't know, green! ... it wouldn't be a bias against green people that would cause them to be let go when the layoff rules kick in, if it's a last-in, first-gone place.

Those places only "pick on" newbies, regardless of race, age, gender or disability.

Re: Jambalaya's suggestion that people are literally getting fired because of their "color, gender or disability," I call bull shit. Show us your evidence. In this day and age, those folks would lawyer up so fast someone would get whiplash and TWO lawyers would be suing somebody. Funny, too, how you left "age" out of your little list. Doesn't that count? I see more veteran people getting dumped than I do other specific groups, because A) they tend to have bigger salaries, and B) some marketing fools think that kids will buy a paper put out by kids.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

The point that I was trying to make is that no one is thinking about diversity at the present time.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Age has been the most consistent factor in these layoffs.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's not true. I know a number of people who have been layed off and age wasn't a factor.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And nobody on the Titanic was thinking about what china would be used in the first class dining room that evening at 2 a.m. on April 15, 1912.

So what . . . and so what.

"Most consistent" factor does not mean "all."

Tell you what. I'll gather a list of 40+ white veterans laid off, and you gather a list of younger minorities laid off.

We'll see where the percentages tilt.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

We are probably in the same place Simon but I'd say experience and paycheck size seem to be more consistent than anything else.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Nobody lays off "experience." They lay off age and paycheck size. Experience is just the collateral damage.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, I know what you are saying.

I just meant -- experience usually signals "older and makes too much money" and those people are the ones usually sent packing first, particularly in non-union shops where seniority is not protected.

9. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

This morning, I had a stop at an airport in the city where I used to work at the paper. Today's sports section had five staff bylines (this paper now shares content with the paper on the airport's western side). Perhaps you'll applaud the diversity: Of the five staff bylines, four were white males aged 50-54. The other guy was a white male in his 40s. So, no one can say that section isn't diverse. It's not like they're all the same age, or something.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Five white guys talking about black guys....hmmm.

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Or as Harold Ramis told the platoon in Stripes, "Black guys, help the white guys."

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Oh snap, I remember that line. Right after that I think there was a brief scuffle.

Draft saved Draft deleted