1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diversity takes another hit in journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, May 19, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

WTF?

2. Mediator

Mediator Member

It's easy to use the crappy state of the newspaper industry as an excuse not to do stuff. Why bother to pitch an enterprise story? The paper is capping stories at 15 inches. Why triple source? Why make a call on a day off? None of it matters if you are going to get laid off in a week.

But I think it's important to play out the string on our better nature while we have the platform. And yes, that includes diversity. Minorities and women had made inroads that were embarrassingly puny, and they are losing those jobs faster than their counterparts. And it isn't that no one is hired. Look at Yahoo's staff. It's a joke and a throwback to the good old boy way of getting hired.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Huh?

The layoffs I have seen have been an assault on 40+-year-old white guys

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Fuck!
    Layoffs have been happening to everyone. You can't say one group is being targeted. That's ridiculous.
    Diversity is dying in newspapers. Newspapers are dying. We're all losing jobs. instead of blaming other grunts or claiming one group of people is safer than another, why not blame the people responsible, like the management fucks who refuse to evolve or change their business model. why not discuss how almost every newspaper in the country still has an insane editor/reporter ratio?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's a very stupid statement. Newsrooms today are now about as white as a cloud. The layoffs haven't been an assault on 40+-year-old white guys. It's been an assault on everyone. However in the process, newsroom diversity has taken a backseat to survival of the industry and as a result, newsroom have become more pale.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And exactly how many newsrooms have you visited this month?

Not mine, I can damn well guarantee.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I should have said many newsrooms BT but I think you understand what I'm getting at.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If YOU think that we ALL are losing jobs (which I strenuously disagree with), then HOW is diversity dying?

Same percentages are working... how is diversity dying?

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Hmmm. So I guess the argument is whether diversity efforts ought to move to the back of the bus ... uh, back burner.

Cripes.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Tick.

Tock.

Still waiting ...

... for that first high-minded boss to decline a promotion or even vacate his current post so it can be used for a diversity hire.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hell, how many white male reporters or copy editors have stepped down from their job to allow their now-former paper to make a diversity hire?

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's an argument that feels like it makes some sort of score emotionally but in reality has no logical value.

Draft saved Draft deleted