1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diversity takes another hit in journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, May 19, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is something that should be discussed. Are newspapers going backward in terms of diversity?
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003974500

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I mean, at this point where people are losing their jobs every day, does anybody give a fuck about this?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I see your point Mizzou but it still shouldn't be ignored. The numbers are staggering.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Idealogically, yes. Pragmatically, no.

5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I gotta agree with Mizzougrad.

Diversity, investigative journalism, all that noble garbage they feed you is secondary to profits. The dollar rules. Ethics, diversity, and journalistic purpose and calling are garbage they feed you to convince you that you should get paid like a 7-11 clerk.

We have all been had.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Another point that stood out.
    The Diversity Chairman -- in a time when diversity is taking a hit in newsroom firings -- had her job eliminated. That's called something, I'm not sure what.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's a bad sign fish.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Had to laugh when I got a look at Gannett's executive committee. For a corporation that talks so much about diversity, their top executive ranks are pretty damn white and male.

This stuff is important - and if you see the increase of publications targeting specific demographics in the last 10 years- it seems apparent most newspapers missed the boat completely in responding to demographic shifts.

9. I don't know, Dan. I find it hard to believe newspapers could miss the boat on something this big. Next you'll say they've been slow to respond to the internet or something equally preposterous.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

progress

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Newspapers are dying and people are worried about this shit?

C'mon people.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So what? You only rectify it by hiring, or by firing the people whose departure would put the numbers back in order. To the first point: HAHAHAHAHAHA! To the second point: no one has the time or inclination to be that selective. And I imagine a company would leave themselves vulnerable to a lawsuit if they tried.

Draft saved Draft deleted