1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diversity at SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by broadway joe, Apr 30, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And then FIRED!

Welcome to Time, Inc. 2.0!

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

On SI's cover two weeks ago there was a small box for a Rutgers/Imus story, "by Aditi Kinkhabwala". The editor's note said she was a former SI intern and now covers Rutgers sports for The Record in NJ. The story was fine, but I wondered why her name would be on a cover. Chris Ballard and Sally Jenkins' names were on the same cover, which I can understand. But I thought the other one was unusual, as if to say "we've got the Rutgers thing, AND it's by a minority."

Just more fodder for discussion, maybe...

3. layingout

layingout New Member

Let's try to get the basic facts straight, this being a journalism board. Rushin wasn't let go I don't think. Wasn't he asked to change his role then get pissy about it and decide to take a severance instead. I guess you can argue that he was forced out. You'd sound like a conspiracy theorist. Damasio, whose stuff I liked, was part of the purge. But if the Time magazine thing is true, I'd rather be there than SI.
    Good point, though, about them maybe just not hiring anyone. Mags are in a serious freeze. As much as newspapers. Late last season, I read more and more Layden on the NFL. He's real solid and versatile. Unless S.I. is ashamed of having all white guys on the NFL and NBA beats, I bet they don't hire a soul.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I think SI will hire a minority from outside because they're sensitive about having only one senior writer who's not a white male. (It's true that Taylor is the only one, right?) McDonnell, the ME, has been quoted as saying he's looking for a young (read: cheap) writer to replace Chadiha on the NFL.

They won't hire Whitlock. He's too expensive, especially after they've just laid off people, and he's not a skilled enough writer. He'd be a better fit for their website than for the magazine.

Draft saved Draft deleted