1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diversity at SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by broadway joe, Apr 30, 2007.

1. wordsmith

wordsmith New Member

I don't know Jeff's new role. But coming from SI, he has more credentials than Michael Smith. If they are both doing TV, in time, I see Jeff getting just as much airplay as Smith, if not more. SI lost two class acts and talents in Jeff and Nunyo. Should be interesting to see who gets hired on the football team. I can't see how SI is fine with having one black writer in the entire sports magazine. Tell me if my count is off.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

From this link:
    http://www.maynardije.org/columns/dickprince/070427_prince/
    Chadiha, 36, said his new contract was not finalized, but he expected to be writing a column twice a week for ESPN.com, doing podcasts, communicating in chat rooms, and appearing 15 weeks a year on the "First and 10" show with Skip Bayless and others, as well as having a presence on other ESPN shows, such as "SportsCenter."

Sounds like he'll get a reasonable amount of air time. I doubt he would have made the jump if that hadn't been guaranteed.

3. wordsmith

wordsmith New Member

Good find. Thanks. Yeah sounds like a pretty good deal and he gets to keep writing via dot com.
    Where's Greenfeld headed? Anyone? Only accurate info please.

4. butch

butch Member

I think the real question is: how many black students are graduating college with journalism degrees? my bet is that it's reflective of the number of black journalists in the industry

5. wordsmith

wordsmith New Member

I disagree. One, single black writer at a magazine whose coverage is largely basketball, football and baseball; that's reflected of the industry? Maybe I'm biased as a football fan, but really, give me Chadiha's or Demasio's pieces over Taylor's. I'm not bashing SI but it's a crock to say that you can't find more quality black writers. Jason Whitlock can replace Rushin just purely on voice. Mike Freeman, Damon Hack, Tim Smith. And I'm skipping quite a few names. These guys aren't qualified?

6. butch

butch Member

No, I'm sure they are. I'm saying that there shouldn't be an uproar in the industry when one of SI's 25 senior writers is black if there are 24 white journalism grads to every one black journalism grad, which may not be accurate but may be close.

7. dcdream

dcdream Member

Well it looks like APSE cares if you read their program for their convention.
    General Session: Diversity in Our Departments: One Year Later
    Moderator: Jorge Rojas, Miami Herald, executive sports editor
    Panelists: Karen Magnuson, APME president; Greg Lee, Boston Globe senior assistant sports editor; Ronnie Ramos, Atlanta Journal-Constitution; Patricia Mays, Riverside Press-Enterprise sports editor

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

There are a couple of journalism schools that have popped up at some HBCU's like Hampton University which recently opened up a school of Journalism. That being said, journalism, which was once a huge field in the African American community, has dwindled in recent years.

9. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Minorities want to get out of poverty, not commit to a lifetime of it.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

How true. It's really sad though seeing how black newspapers and its writers in the past played a significant role in shaping many of the policies that fostered change in this country.

And to be honest with you, its not completely the fault of SI and other mediums and their lack of black journalists.

The field lost its gusto in the black community with the "dream" that has become intergration.

11. len shapiro

len shapiro New Member

Check out SI's masthead and see how much female diversity there is, as well. Pitiful.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I agree with all of your points, except for Chadiha and Damasio's work being superior to Taylor's. That must be your football bias talking.

Draft saved Draft deleted