1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

District 9

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bad Guy Zero, Aug 13, 2009.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

More than anything, I thought it was well written. The shifts in plot were unpredictable and multi-layered. One of the best sci-fi movies I can recall because of the multiple themes. It could have ended at one point and it would still have been an intense, enjoyable experience.....then it got even better.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Saw it last night.
    She said it will be a while before I get to pick the movie again -- she wanted to see Julie and Julia -- but the apartheid movie cloaked in sci-fi get her roped in.
    Needless to go on, but to say she didn't much care for it.
    I liked it, a lot, but then again, I'm a super nerd, but I did think it had some weird tonal shifts. The first Act was a documentary style, don't know where this is going, but it looks completely awesome, Act II was the Fugitive as he played both Dr. Richard Kimble and the one-armed man and Act III was alien Iron Man.
    The effects were fantastic. For a budget of $30 million they totally pulled some very effective things. The floating mothership was very good, as was the alien design and costuming/CGI. It looked so good, I wasn't sure when it was one or the other.
    She did like the effects, especially the child alien. Called him "saucy."
    I thought setting it in South Africa was really cool as well and it has some good writing. Really crisp.
    Setting up a possible sequel, the way they did it, was a nice touch as well.
    The violence was excessive, but out of a 100, I'd give it a 93 or 94.

Draft saved Draft deleted