1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

District 9

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bad Guy Zero, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You're a three-percenter! :)

2. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I'll give you that it seems a bit derivative when you start analyzing it. I saw bits of Starship Troopers, The Fly [the Cronenberg version], Independence Day, The Defiant Ones, and Robocop more so than Transformers. Wikus reminded me of Michael Scott crossed with Borat.

There's very little truly original art being created whether it be music, cinema, or literature. Disctrict 9 rises above being a mere rip-off by taking it's [presumed] influences and using them as reference points and inspiration to create a new work of art. This is a well-made film that is thought provoking AND entertaining. It didn't feel like a near-two hour film to me. I found myself completely absorbed by the film.

Bottom line: I'll be seeing this film again!

SPOILER WARNING: Does anybody else expect the release of District 10 within the next three years?

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I hope not Bad Guy, I liked the way it ended and I think it will just screw everything over.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if it didn't show up by the 2010 Christmas season. It's Checkov's Gun: they're not going to mention District 10 unless there's an intent to take us there at some point. If it doesn't happen, it won't be for lack of effort/desire.

5. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

My feelings exactly, Meat.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think there's a lot more story to be told here.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did the aliens come to Earth as refugees in the first place? Why were they all malnourished and unable to get back to their home planet. If "Christopher Johnson" (a name that cracked me up throughout) comes back, will it be with an invasion force or rescue team? Will Wikus ever be returned to his human form?

Lots of stuff left to see, I think.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, District 10 in a few years.

Thought it was alright. Enjoyed it. But nothing groundbreaking.

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Saw it last night. Thought it was terrific and put most sci-fi I've seen in the last 5 years to shame. Genuinely disturbing. Great to look at. Funny. Perfect ending.

The tension in the first half-hour was unbearable. I had no idea where the story was headed.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I disliked it. About an hour through the mind-numbing explosions and CGI gore I just about dozed off. Aside from the rather simplistic moral of the film, it was no different than a G.I. Joe or Transformers film.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Are you sure you actually saw this movie? The first hour had very few explosions and action. The first explosion or gore that jumps to mind is when they make Wikus test the alien weapon and that was pretty far into the movie.

Maybe there was something before that, but this was far from wall-to-wall explosions and gore.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I liked it fine, but the other couple we went with didn't and I can understand that.

Whoever said there's a lot of Cronenberg is right on. I don't have a problem with that kind of filmmaking but it's not going to be everybody's cup of tea, and it can be distracting from where the movie's trying to go.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Meh. I just wasn't into it at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted