1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

District 9

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bad Guy Zero, Aug 13, 2009.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

What he meant to say was, it's "I couldn't care less."

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Thanks, buddy.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The reviews make it sound like the aliens are the good guys, or not evil at least.
    The bad guys are a Blackwater-like military contractor and from everything I have read, it sounds like it will kick some ass.
    The most interesting part to me though is the commercials are a head fake, they used footage not in the movie to make it look like something else. I think specifically the ad that showed a a Transformers like robot character.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The news bit one pops out in my mind.

Can't remember what the lady is saying, or what's going on in the spot, but it didn't say anything about the movie and only listed the Web site for it.

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Well my ass is now in the theater. I'll give my thoughts on the other side.

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I-N-fucking-tense! It contains some of the most squirm inducing moments outside of a Cronenberg flick.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Thanks! (BTW, count me in with the folks who think your avatar RAWKS!)
    I had read on imdb that it's modeled after Apartheid, which makes this a damned interesting premise, IMHO. Can't wait to see it.

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

It was amazing. Everything was done well, loved the writing and the way it was filmed.
    I never say this, but I want to see this again on the big screen.
    Well done all around.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Would you take a 13-year-old?

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

We took twin 10-year-olds. However, they watch a steady diet of R-rated horror films like the new Halloween and Friday the 13th, so what they laughed at may give others nightmares. It wasn't horrible but use your best judgment.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I definitely liked this movie. I wouldn't bring a couple of 10-year-olds to it (lots of bodies splattering and the F-bomb is used liberally throughout), but it's not scary at all if that's your concern.

I don't want to give too much away yet, but I recommend seeing it on the big screen. I liked how seamlessly the aliens were worked into the film. It almost wasn't like you were watching a science fiction movie at times. Some of the characters in the film just happened to look like giant prawns.

More reaction to come as more people see it.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I wasn't supremely impressed. They might as well have put in 100-point type on the bottom of the screen "ALIENS ARE THE NEW BLACK PEOPLE" in the beginning, so heavy-handed was the comparison they drew. It shifted focus too much, from alien takeover film to man unto himself to buddy flick to Transformers. And the kill scenes are entertaining to a point (particularly the one in which a live pig is used as a weapon), but so amazingly over the top that it renders the whole act farcical and ultimately with blunted impact (see also: Starship Troopers).

It wasn't *bad* and it was a far sight better than the Terminator and Transformers films, but I'm not seeing the 97 percent Rotten Tomatoes score.

Draft saved Draft deleted