1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Distressing report on Paul Newman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

This story says the end is near:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24149703-663,00.html

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's sad, but 83 ain't bad. And lord knows he's had a pretty good life.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's sad. Stole movies with his acting deep into his 70s. And sure he is rich, but selling a product strictly for charity is way cool.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Indeed. His performance in Road to Perdition was incredible for a man his age. Sad news.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've been checking out some of his work from the 1960s. Good stuff, Hud, Harper and Hombre, and of course Cool Hand Luke.

6. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

OK, this really stinks. I mean, some of this man's movies are some of my favs of all time. The Hustler. Cool Hand. Road to Perdition. The Sting. Butch Cassidy....

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This is really too bad. Hopefully his passing is peaceful.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

"Hudsucker Proxy" being one of them.

9. The Granny

The Granny Guest

First Mac, then Hayes. Looks like we got our third.

Sad news, though. Newman's Own is wonderful in all aspects.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Worst part of his obits will be the mention of his Oscar for ... The Color of Money. Not one of his 10 20 greatest performances. Cool Hand Luke is everybody's favorite ("Look at him, boss, deader than hell and won't let go.") but my favorite was The Verdict. Hud, Slapshot, Harper, The Drowning Pool (saw it on A&E dozens of times), all amazing. Even the later stuff, Road to Perdition, Russo's Nobody's Fool and Empire Falls, he still owned every scene and made it look easy. A couple that I saw a long time ago that stuck with me: Sometimes a Great Notion (which seemed to be a bookend to CHL) and Fort Apache The Bronx (the first time I thought PN ever seemed old). I hated any second Robert Redford was on the same screen as him, have never liked The Mole as an actor.

Quintet is still the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Makes Barberella look like Gone with the Wind.

Honored to have breathed the same air as him at an Indycar race years back. I'm sure he's having a cold one.

YD&OHS, etc

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Third?

That's like grist for an SAT question which of these is not like the other.

Pure legend. Newman.

12. I was just thinking that. I re-watched HP the other day. What a great film and Newman is outstanding in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted