1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Distinguished temporary Professor, U. of Montana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Norrin Radd, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Might be a nice chance for old journos wanting to test academia.

Or an opportunity for a new experience away from daily journalism.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1460810

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I love Missoula. That's all I have to add. Would be a really fun place to spend a semester.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Worked up there, along with several UM grads on our staff. Nice campus, nice town. Program has a good reputation.

Funny, the ad does not mention academic requirements. Most teaching positions I have come across require a Master's as a bare minimum in order to even get considered. It does say "national reputation", however one wants to interpret that.

4. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

It's a visiting professorship. They're not looking for an academic. The ideal candidate, I presume, is an experienced and savvy professional who can teach students real-world things that full-time professors — those with master's degrees — are unable to.

Looking at the list of recent professors should give a pretty good idea about the caliber of candidate sought: Chris Jones, Eli Saslow, Hank Stuever. Talk about masters...

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'd be afraid I wouldn't be able to pull myself away from the Big Sky Brewery and the Rhino for enough time to actually work.

6. Great opportunity, and the pay is great for a semester in Missoula.

7. slc10

slc10 Member

Looks like it is similar to the adjunct professor who is not an instructor normally.
    Hmm. I am distinguished (I think) lots of things in life are temporary and I profess something.
    :)

8. Not similar at all. Adjuncts normally do not have responsibilities besides teaching the course they are contracted for and holding office hours.

Plus, this position pays a heck of a lot more than an adjunct.

Draft saved Draft deleted