1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dissident Thai General Shot While Doing Interview With NY Times Reporter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 13, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the old joke about it being the worst miscalculation since Custer said, "Over that hill! I think they're FRIENDLY Indians!"

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

It's a bizarre dilemma over there.

The Baht (Thai currency) shot way the hell up back in the late 80s-early 90s-ish. A building boom commenced. Then, the bottom dropped out of the Baht and all the construction was stopped. Bangkok is just lousy with unfinished buildings.

Then the Baht came back again, buildings popped up, the rich got richer, and the poor couldn't crawl out of their situations if they tried. And in the rural parts of the country, it's not uncommon at all for the children to enter the sex trade to earn money to send home-or to find a sugar daddy that'll take care of the whole family (any expat can become a Thai citizen if they keep $X amount of baht in a Thai bank). Is it a moral dilemma-sure. But it's an accepted part of life there.

So, as Bankgok roars toward 21st century modernization, it's at odds with the royal family, who've made a ton of money off all of this. Saying something bad about the king, however small, will get you thrown in the pokey. All of the prime billboard space in BKK has the king's image on it.

At first, I thought the unrest was largely contained to one part of town, but it seems like it's spreading out. Sad stuff.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

First thing we were told before entering Thailand and Bangkok a couple years ago was to never, ever, say an ill word about the king or queen, who are EVERYWHERE on signage it seems.

Loved, loved my two weeks there ... would love to go back someday and explore more of the coastal towns. Unfortunately, doesn't look like that will be anytime soon.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I keep the ends out for the Thai that binds.

Because you're mine, I walk the line.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

It's not a matter of his prose; it's a matter of a silly, anachronistic journalistic convention.

Draft saved Draft deleted