1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Displaying newspapers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jun 21, 2010.

1. Anyone have any historic newspapers hanging in their house? How do you have them displayed ... with mattes, just a frame, etc.?

A friend gave me a newspaper she found while cleaning out her house before she moves ... it was the Minneapolis paper (Tribune, I think?), announcing V-E Day. Odd, because we're in Eastern Connecticut, but whatever. What was somewhat interesting was that there were a lot of full-page ads (and it had to be like a 70-inch web ... twice the size of most papers today) with religious overtones (GO TO CHURCH! was one) over the end of the war in Europe. Don't think that would fly today without a lawsuit or five coming down.

I also have a bunch of papers my father saved that I'd also like to frame as well ... the Apollo 13 ordeal, Nixon resigns, Apollo 11, etc.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I have a collection of Chicago Tribune sports fronts from when my favorite teams do something good. I'm thinking about getting the Blackhawks' Cup win framed.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes.

The recent Pittsburgh Super Bowls and Stanley Cup are either hung or waiting to be hung.

I also have a NY Post of a perfect game I attended waiting to go up.

We have them professionally framed at Michaels. They have special glass that does not yellow the pages.

I think we have the Obama front page waiting as well.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Active Member

I've got the Boston Record-American center spread of Bobby Orr's goal matted, framed and on the wall above the computer in my home office ... thanks to my Boston-transplant parents just happening to save all of the Boston papers from that day and them happening to show up in my room (and me rescuing that center spread before they just happened to get thrown away sometime while I was in college).

I, too, had it framed at Michael's well over a decade ago. It was deteriorating pretty quickly, but after framing, it's held up pretty well.

A family member gave me the plate of what became my alma mater's college newspaper front page the day after it won the NCAA basketball title -- six years before I became a student at said school and a member of said newspaper's staff. I've always just displayed it in the frame that it came with.

Other important newspapers I have, I've just kept in a box. I have the one from the Colts' Super Bowl title -- the only title won by a pro team I follow in my lifetime -- but have never bothered to put it up. I've got some of my best stuff from my newspaper days saved, but just sitting in a box. I've always thought I might display some of it, but never got around to it.

It is amazing to open old newspapers and feel like you're grabbing something that's twice the size of what they are now.

Now that I teach history and journalism in high school, I'd like to hang up some historic front pages in my classroom.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I've got the front of the final edition of Cincinnati Post (my former paper) framed, hanging above my computer. In a box, I've got a bunch of front pages — mainly sports-centric — that I've always meant to get around to framing but never have.

As for the how, I just took the Post final to a frame shop and had them do it professionally. Nice walnut frame, dark green matte behind the paper. It was pretty inexpensive, save for the frame which I spent $50 on. The shop did the work for another $25.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

None in the house, but my shop has a few in the office from V-E Day, the moon landing and a couple other historic events. Looks like they're just framed. It is interesting to see the progression of newspaper design, from all-text fronts with maybe a cartoon in the 1940s to incorporating more pictures in the 1960s.
    We also sell laminated pages for about $80. Not sure how well they're selling, though.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

have the last sunday issue and final issue of the dallas times herald but they're not displayed

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've got the mock front page from when I left the newspaper biz.
    I've been planning to frame it for my home office but haven't gotten around to it in the past three years.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife and I have our mock pages hanging in the basement. Never fails to get noticed when other newspaper hacks visit. I was at a friend's wedding recently and his mock page was in the bathroom. Excellent placement.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I have the newspaper from the day each of my children was born

11. CR19

CR19 Member

I have a set of photos that show every Globe newspaper during the 2004 Red Sox Run to the World Series.

Draft saved Draft deleted