1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disneyworld advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

"It may be the oldest ride in the park, but it's still got the longest line! Wooooo!"

The ladies love riding Space Mountain. Some guys, too. Hell, I tried it once. I was curious. It wasn't bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Bradley Guire

Serious Disney World advice:

- Meal deals are a money-saving package. Worth it.
    - Fast passes are time-saving packages. Worth it.
    - Even if you stay at the cheapest resort inside Disney World, it's still nice a nice joint. Plus, bus service. Plus, if you buy trinkets and don't want to cart them around all day, the park will deliver your trinkets to your hotel. That was nice.
    - At least two full days for Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, for those of all ages.
    - Not as many rides in Hollywood Studios, but more shows. Shows take longer than rides. Plan for that.
    - Epcot is a waste for the younger kids. They'll be bored with everything but the Nemo show. In this instance, park hopper is great. Knock out an early show of Nemo, then jet over to another park for other stuff.
    - Want to get pics and autographs of characters for kids? Pay the extra for a character meal, unless you wait to wait an hour in line for each and every character.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My kids are disabled. What we've done is get a note from our pediatrician. When we enter, we go to the customer service place, show them the note, and get us a disabilites pass.

With the pass, usually the smaller rides just let us cut in and we get on right away. With the bigger attractions, they either have us do that, or write down a time for us to come back. At that time, they let us on.

4. Bradley Guire

Here's something I've thought about since hurting my back: even though Disney isn't a "roller coaster" park as much as Six Flags, if you've got folks who can't handle being jarred around there are a handful of things to consider.

Thunder Mountain at Magic Kingdom: it's a fairly rough ride.
    Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios: I wouldn't ride it because of the potential compression on my spine.

The rest, like Aerosmith and Space Mountain, probably won't do much damage. Depends on how fragile you are.
    Also, depending on the time of year, indoor rides are great for beating the heat. Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion are fantastic. Rode them over and over when we got overheated.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Ok . . .

- It's not Disneyworld. It's Walt Disney World.

Everything else has been covered. Enjoy yourself. You will spend more money than you want to.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I stayed at Pop Century for a friend's wedding last August. Pretty much the definition of cornball, but another friend who was their with her two young daughters said they enjoyed it.
    The bridal party of course stayed at Grand Floridian. Opulence, they has it. Very convenient using the monorail though and even taking buses from Pop Century was fine though they did get crowded from time to time.
    Avoid Wide World of Sports all together. There's just nothing there.
    Hit Downtown Disney. Tons of good places to eat that rise above the stadium food fare you might get elsewhere, plus the legoland is amazing.
    If possible, go off campus to a Walgreens to get a case of Gatorade and a couple gallons of sunscreen. You will need both and they get pretty expensive if you buy them at the park.

7. Bradley Guire

Be aware that some animals roam free around Animal Kingdom. I was bitten by a duck in 2008. It was Christmas. I was traumatized for minutes.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Under no circumstances should you rent a car. I've got to deal with enough idiots who are trying to make a left turn from the far right lane of a five-lane road; or are going 5 mph because you're hopelessly lost as you try to unfold a map with the wife, in-laws and kids all screaming at you . . . And you'll get screwed by the two gas stations closest to the airport when you go to refill your car and see that you're paying $6 a gallon.

9. How is the meal plan essentially free? We ate breakfast at our rental, and packed lunches and snacks?

10. Wasn't this a South Park episode?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's not. The cost of it is built into the package that you buy, but it feels free because you are not getting out your wallet every time you eat. You basically bring one card, that they give you for everything. You still need to tip at the table service places, which is about $5-7 extra for each person. You do not want to eat at the table services without knowing what it costs sans a meal plan. It works out to between $30 and $40 for each person over two and some places it's more.

For where we live and the size of the family I have, $1,000 per person was the number we use and that is going off season and four and a half days of park fun.

I would also go with AAA or through Disney proper. The AAA agents are trained to know almost as much about Disney as the "cast members."

12. Key

Key Well-Known Member

We're planning a trip in October and I'm already bracing for this.

Draft saved Draft deleted