1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disneyworld advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

I'll give that all the consideration that it's due.

2. You're being the douche getting uptight on Devil's experience. Glad to know you hold all the Disney expertise.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Psssst. This stuff is subjective as hell, and people like different things. What didn't wow Tom may very well wow Dick and Harry.

[​IMG]

Awww, that was you?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Forgive me for trying to help. Since 2001, I've been to Disney at least 60 times.

I'll let him muddle through because, obviously, that's the way to do it.

Forget I said anything.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not much to add here, but I will say the suggestions about going off-peak are spot on. I've been three times in January and once in October. I've also been at spring break and the week after Christmas. January and October are solid. January is best.

FWIW, my wife and I really enjoyed Downtown Disney. If you take the kids, make sure to take the kids and see the sculptures at the Lego store.

If you take the kids to Disney Studios, go later in the day and take them to the Fantasmic show, which is conveniently located next to the Tower of Terror and the Rock'n Roller Coaster, the two best rides in the park. If they enjoy the Disney movies, they'll thoroughly enjoy the show.

6. This +1
    But my in-laws want to do this for the kids (aka they are footing the bill).
    My cousin, who is a travel agent is calling tomorrow, with some ballpark figures.

The kids are 10, 7 and 5.

I don't think spring break - or off-peak is an option. Prolly gonna be mid to late summer or winter.

7. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

-- I am a "Cast Member" so my tickets are free. I know you don't have that advantage. The meal plan ends up being a pretty good deal if you don't go much of anyplace else while you're in Orlando. Disney food is top-quality stadium food. So there's that.

-- Do a "character meal." It's worth it. If you have girls, do the Cinderella one. My nieces never felt more awesomeness. If you have girls, make a reservation at the Bippitty-Boppitty-Boutique (sp?) and get them made up as their favorite Disney Heroine. I have never seen a girl under 12 being anything less than giddy by the results. Smoke less, drink less, eat less, be late on the mortgage. Get little girls to the Bippitty-Boppitty-Boutique (sp?).

-- I have an autistic son (profoundly), and while it does grant certain advantages, it is no panacea. And yes, all you jokers are going to hell. :) I kid.

-- Local hotels are fine and then you take the rental car to the park of the day. $10. Driving from park to park gets expensive quick. Most local hotels have a shuttle to the Magic Kingdom and then you can take a bus anywhere you want to go. I usually stay at the Marriot Residence Inn Lake Mary, which is usually affordable and has free breakfast. Of course I do use points, and it's free.

-- Park Hopper passes are not essential, but if you or the kids get bored or overwhelmed quickly, suddenly they are essential. A 15-minute bus-ride from one park to the other can be a cleansing and reinvigorating experience.

-- The Magic Kingdom is just that. Two days.

-- The animal Kingdom is great, too. 1-2 days. We usually do 1.5 days there (take anyone old enough on the Himalaya if you like roller coasters) and spend the other half at the Studios park. The Star Tours ride and the Aerosmith coaster are awesome at Studios.

-- Epcot is dicey. You and the other adults will love every minute of it. Kids like a few select things (the aquarium, World Of Energy, Gm Test Track), but unless they like documentary films, it's a bore-fest. My kids like documentary films, so score for me. You can get a great steak in the Canada section. The Morrocan food place is hit or miss, but when it's on, it's great. The German buffet is phenomenal if you like meat, meat and more meat. Me and my brood like meat.

-- There are great English pubs (not Irish) all over Orlando. Our favorite is Harry Ramsbottom's. And Downtown Disney is great for you and the better half if the 'rents will watch the grandkids until 2 a.m.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And I've stayed at Port Orleans.

IMHO, nice for older adults, but boring for kids.

9. 93Devil

Thank you for the heads up on the Boutique.

We are planning to go again the first week of December. Basically, we are playing Disney for all it's worth while Lil 93 is still young and buys everything hook, line and sinker that they are offering.

I agree about the food quality except for the desserts. Those are pretty damn good. Oh, the coffee sucks, but I have heard that is because of the water.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I highly recommend The Grand Floridian. It's on the monorail line, has great pools and water slide .

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

About five years back, one of kleeda's fellow "cast members" swiped his card at the Magic Kingdom turnstile and let me, my wife and child in. We were in awe. I clearly remember saying to the wife "if they axe me, at least we got that done." A few months later, yep. (We laugh about it now.)

Ditto on the Princess dinner. Our 3-year-old was speechless, and that's darned hard to do.

If you go at off-peak times, off-property is OK. Stay on property for the peak times to avoid the astounding I-4 traffic that will make you want to scream.

12. 93Devil

FYI, the monorail only takes you to Epcot and the Magic Kingdom. You either have to ride a boat or a bus to get to the Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios.

Draft saved Draft deleted