1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disneyworld advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 6, 2013.

1. My in-laws want to take the kids to Disneyworld (the one in Florida) this year. They want to fly --- It'd be 7 of us, and stay at the resort.

.. When is the best time to go? To get the best flight rates and such?
    Should I book myself? A travel agent? Through Disney?

Thanks.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Been there twice in the last two years.

First, if you can, go when schools are open. The park will be dead and the weather mild.

How old are your kids or kid?

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I can't help with reservation advice, but I will say staying at one of the Disney resorts is the only way to go. You get shuttle service to and from the parks, and you get in an hour or so early before it opens to the general public. Hit the high traffic areas then, and then do the rest of the place when the crowds come.

Go to Epcot. They sell beer.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If you're staying at a Disney resort, get a meal plan for each of you. You'll save money, and there is so much food in the plan, you may not be able to eat it all. There were people giving us meals because they couldn't use them all.

Also, make reservations at the restaurants so you don't have to wait. And, at least once, have a character meal, even though it may cost a little more. The kids will enjoy having the characters come right to your table for pictures and autographs.

One more tip, when you get to the park, resist the temptation to start doing stuff and hop on the little railroad to the back of the park. Then work your way forward. You don't want to be hiking all the way to the back, then be exhausted and have to wait on line for the train to go back to the front.

5. 93Devil

OK, so quick thoughts...

- Everything at Disney is very nice, so staying in a "value" resort will still be very, very nice.
    - Stay on site
    - Use AAA or Disney to do a package - they throw in transportation to and from the resorts, which is huge
    - Devote at least two days to the Magic Kingdom and two days to the Animal Kingdom
    - If you have older kids, Hollywood Studios is good, but if you have younger kids it might only be a half day park
    - Epcot is meh for youngers but Nemo is there
    - Get familiar with past pass
    - If any kids are disabled, that can really be to your advantage
    - buy a small umbrella stroller if you kids are under seven, you can move around so much easier with one of those
    - do a meal plan
    - we do Disney with a meal plan, park hopper, stay on site and flight travel for $3,000 (four days, four nights).
    - DO NOT travel as a seven person group. Split onto smaller groups and agree to meet at certain locations to do family stuff.
    - Disney is starting to get some very good apps that will help you find things quickly (like character meet and greats) so you can line up quickly and not waste your entire day waiting in line.
    - If you go in the off season, when schools are in session, you really should not wait more than 15-20 minutes for anything.
    - Two adult quick service meals on the meal plan can feed two adults and a child.
    - try to get a room as close to the front of the resort as possible

Do not leave without seeing...
    Lion King show
    Nemo show

6. Best time has passed. It's generally January or February when kids are in school. Went there during Super Bowl Weekend and stayed in a four-bedroom townhouse in Polk County for $99/night.

Try Orbitz and Priceline for deals, or Southwest.

In the parks, use FastPasses. If you need a stroller, get one from a company that will deliver it to the hotel.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Depending on size and age of group consider staying at one of the resorts that have direct park access.

We have stayed at The Contemporary Resort, The Caribbean Resort and off site. The nice thiing about the 3 resorts with park access is thet time and aggravation factor they save.

When we stayed at The Caribbean here was the routine, 10 minute walk to front of resort for the shuttle bus, 20 minutes on the shuttle to Magiic Kingdom, walk from Shuttle bus stops at park to entrance, may not seem like a big deal but with a stroller, snacks, water, etc it was a bit a pain in the ass.

We stayed at the Contemporary and all we did was walk to the Monorail floor right in the hotel and it deposited us to the fron entrance, well worth the extra cost.

The resorts with direct access also have better pool options which was great when we needed a break from the heat and the park.

8. 93Devil

It all depends on what you want to spend.

We would not return to the room until the end of the night, so buses were not a big deal. You are spending about an extra $200-$250 a night per room to use the monorail. I would take the $1,000 and put it towards a meal plan and park hoppers, but when you go when we did, the pools do not come into play.

The walk from the bus stop to the gate is about 100-200 yards. When you consider that you are going to be walking between 7-10 miles each day, I don't think it's such a big deal.

If money was not an object, I would stay at the Wilderness Lodge and look out at a giraffe when I got up in the morning.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Said no one, ever, until Devil did on SportsJournalists.com on March 6, 2013.

Park hopper -- yes.
    Meal plan -- definitely. (If you have little girls, get a reservation to eat dinner in Cinderella's castle). Our sitting was late, and we ate dessert and watched the fireworks through the cut glass windows. That was a unique perspective.
    I suggest staying at a moderately priced resort.
    -- There are more, and more direct, bus routes to and from the parks. The buses aren't as crowded.
    -- It's much, much quieter.
    -- You probably won't be sharing the hotel with hundreds of band students and the like on class trips.

If one of your kids are having a birthday during your stay, you can get a delivery to your room of a button, some balloons and some other add-ons for $$$.
    Don't go in August, if you can help it. It's kind of hot in Florida during that time of year. ;D

10. 93Devil

Well, it can at Disney. If you child is autistic they don't have to wait in lines. It is worth investigating.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'll be sure to get my kids vaccinated. :D

12. 93Devil

We have eaten in the Castle and at Cafe Akershus is a good option if you don't want to use all the dining passes. But eating in the Castle is eating in the Castle.

Draft saved Draft deleted