1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dislike the umpire's call? Hit him in the face with a pitch

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Still think that the Yankees put a hit on Brian O'Nora:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/umpire-hit-by-pitch-brian-onora_n_3779891.html

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL.

It's got to be bad for me to agree with TSP.

You have to love Devil looking for the full context before he decides if an assault is justified -- on a ball field. On an ump.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Angel Hernandez or C.B. Bucknor haven't been brushed back yet.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Holy shit.

5. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Couldn't hear what the field official said, but it appears as if he ejected the catcher, and maybe the pitcher.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shit, I am not saying it should happen, but not one journalist is curious about how all those runners got on base, why this team met with the coach at the mound and decided to do this as a team. No one here is curious to the rest of the story?

I'm not advocating beaning umps, but if all you want to know is what you see right away, then that's sad.

And this video was also edited purposefully to show the pitch before the beaning. Anyone here at least curious to the source of the video? Shit, it might even be the team that did the beaning.

Heaven forbid some actual reporting was done on this. The video links to The Chive for Christsakes.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Coach, catcher and pitcher should all be gone from the game following the pitch.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It looked to me that the umpires declared a forfeit. Everybody came off the field before the next pitch.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I didn't see a mound. I saw a pitcher's circle. /petpeeve

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I saw nine mounds.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Seriously, this happened in a high school softball playoff game locally about 2008 or so. The catcher and pitcher were each ejected immediately and suspended for the next playoff game. But since they play best-of-three series in the playoffs, they survived and went to the state semifinals.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"The Chive's" video streaming software works like it's straight out of 1997. Takes five fucking minutes for the fucker to come up.

And whoever posted the video with absolutely no background info -- who are the teams playing, what league, what happened earlier in the game, what happened afterward (pitcher, catcher, coach suspended? game forfeited?) ... well, fuck you too.

Draft saved Draft deleted