1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dislike the umpire's call? Hit him in the face with a pitch

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

What is the appropriate response for a high school softball team that dislikes the quality of the umpiring? Hit him in the face with a pitch, apparently:

http://www.bogdi.com/girls-softball-team-doesnt-like-umpires-call-takes-action-video/

I don't know what school this is, but if I was the principal, the coach would be fired, the players suspended from school and the season cancelled. I don't care how bad the umpire's calls were, there's no excuse for that. If that pitcher or catcher are over 18, I don't see what's stopping the umpire from filing some kind of assault charge.

On a side note - that's a pretty badass field they're playing on! Replica Fenway? What HS does that?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Slacker son of a bitch got off easy. He was a terrible ump.

/93Devil

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, it was a girl throwing the ball. It couldn't have hit him hard.

4. LongTimeListener

To answer your questions, Rusty:

1) Assuming this is a recent video -- it was posted today, anyway -- this wouldn't be a high school team. It would be a club team. And there isn't any kind of sanctioning body overseeing clubs. (The USSSA supposedly is, but it doesn't do anything.)

2) The field looks like it's from the Big League Dreams chain that has facilities throughout California and now is in Arizona, Texas and Nevada too. That's their thing, replicas of all the classic stadiums.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

So if it's a club team, can they be disciplined? I mean, my understanding is that club teams are basically mercenaries who can go to whatever tournaments will have them, right?

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. LongTimeListener

That's correct. I guess if it's bad enough, the tournament directors or the various circuits could ban the team, but those groups aren't in the business of turning away money. And the kids and/or coach could just resurface under a different name anyway.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

LTL's absolutely right. They would be back on the circuit a week later -- especially if they were that intense.

I've been around a few of these AAU things. They like intense there.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At least put them through the trouble of having to do it and in constant fear of exposure. Suspend all their asses for a calendar year.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would love to know the rest of the story on this call.

The bases are loaded and the pitch before this one was right down Broad Street, but called a ball and a run is walked home. How did the other runners get on base? Were they all walked on? This team did not do this off one bad call, and I do sort of respect the brass balls of the team doing this.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You should be decked for this comment.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah!!! Fight the power!!!!

I think I am gonna grab my Daisy BB gun and storm the gates of the Pentagon. That will show them.

Draft saved Draft deleted