1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discovering What's Worse than Not Having a Hole in One

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

I did this about 10 years ago and it was also my only 'hole in one' (that wasn't). Then, after 30 years of golfing without one, I finally got it in September 2012. Short, easy 110 yard hole, but still an ace. Last May, about 25 rounds later due to the winter break, I got another one. The second one was on a 187 yard hole over a lake. Now I'm starting to expect them.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

On an executive course near here, about 15 years ago. Ninth hole was a flat, 105-yard shot. I chunked the PW. It hit about five yards short of the green, was slowed down by the grass and just rolled right.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

First time on a golf course, 11 years old, I watched as my drive hit the green and rolled 50 feet, right at the cup. Then it stopped three feet short. And then I three-putted.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Reminds me of:

[​IMG]

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Was golfing with someone who was just getting into golf.......nice calm day.....170 yards......he hits DRIVER.

Whack.

Lands in the fringe. 2 hop. Bang.

Hole in one.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My Dad had a hole-in-three once, chunked his first into greenside pond and immediately dropped another one on the tee box. Swing and ... yep.

Fortunately he already had an ace to his credit, at his local country club when I was about five years old. He stayed so late at the 19th hole that my Mom had to go fetch him and drive him home. And from what I remember, she didn't give a flying fuck about his ace.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Guy at the club I used to work at joined up with one of the bag room guys on the 10th hole, which plays 208-225 from the back tees. Not exactly the easiest hole to jump on cold.
    First swing he hits it terrible - can't remember if it was chunked or thin - asks my co-worker if he can hit another one. Co-worker says yes. Guy drops one, hits it and it goes it. He looks at my co-worker and says "that doesn't count, does it."
    "Nope."
    It would have been his first.
    Another guy at the club never had an ace. You can see the fifth hole - which maxes out as a 180-yard uphill par 3 - green from the shop. I'm going about my business cleaning clubs, walk in to put some bags away, and when I walk out I hear a member yell at me "Tell me you saw that."
    "Saw what?"
    He starts moaning then says "I knocked it in."
    Didn't count.

I've played golf for 12 years. I've caddied on an off for 17 for pros, excellent amateurs and all sorts of hacks.
    Never had one, never seen one.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Story was told to me about a guy playing years ago at Grand Cypress in Orlando, which has an island-green par 3. Hack kid, playing alone, aces it. Goes nuts. Then looks around for someone, anyone, but only sees a guy at the academy range.

Kid goes over to the guy, kinda disheveled in a cap while hitting balls, asks if he saw it. "Yep, nice shot." Kid says "my buddies at home won't believe it, would you mind attesting my card?"

Guy then scribbles his name, but it's so messy the kid figures his friends will think HE wrote it. "Sir, would you mind printing your name under it, just to be official?"

Guy prints his name ... Payne Stewart.

Then the kid REALLY goes nuts.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Following local team at the state golf tournament in October.

I'd been following the No. 1 for a while, and he seemed to be getting hot - I was trying to just soak up some color to write a story around. He makes a big birdie putt and it seems team-wise they might be making a charge.

So I tell our photog riding with me, "Let's go down and see how the No. 2 is playing - he's at the next hole."

We motor down to catch up with that group, and as I'm pulling up, one of the parents shows me the text - No. 1 kid made an ace we would have seen (and presumably our photog would have had a picture of) had we not decided to go check out the other kid.

Never had a hole in one, and that was as close as I've ever come to seeing one.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I've seen a hole-in-one once ... and then almost saw another one on the next shot.

My dad and I were playing about 20 years ago. He was once a scratch-golfer (unfortunately that ability was not inherited).

Anyway, an elevated par-3 tee, about 150-yard hole. We were with another twosome, one of their guys has honors. He lands it on the fringe in front, it bounces and hits the pin, then drops straight down. Everyone goes bananas.

Dad's next. Hits one of his high irons, lands it on front corner of the green, and you can see it rolling on a path toward the cup (which already has a ball in it). Hits the left lip and spins out, a foot or two away.

It's still the closest he has come to a hole-in-one.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Along with the one I have, I was playing with a friend who had one. We were a foursome in a scramble. I think the hole was something like 180, from an elevated tee over a valley to an elevated green, although the green was probably about 30 feet lower than the tee. He hit a beautiful shot, totally on the screws. It hit about 20 feet behind and to the left of the cup and sucked back. Rolled right in. Sure looked a lot better than my chunker that rolled up and in.

12. inkstainedwretch2

inkstainedwretch2 New Member

After 34 years of fruitless hacking, reading this has made my evening. There is hope. Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and the. <Yes, ISW is back>

Draft saved Draft deleted