1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discovering Arrested Development

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Apr 10, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Was I the only one rooting for George Michael to nail his cousin?

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Season 1, Episode 4: Charity Drive
    Grade: A-
    Highlight: "I need my rape whistle bacl" - and whenever G.O.B. whistles...
    Interest level: 8/10

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Maeby...

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I think my favorite scene was when Tobias pretended to be Mrs. Featherbottom and fell through the coffetable from the second floor. I watched that scene about 20 times and was crying I was laughing so hard.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I can't remember my username and password for Farbecker. But here's this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Freaks and Geeks challenges you to a fight after school.

Cue up "Renegade."

Edit: And Bill Lawrence would like to have a word with you, though he's not a fighter.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'll concede some of that point, BYH, but NBC's track record is better than most when it comes to supporting fledgling comedies. Seinfeld had so-so ratings, Cheers was dead last in the ratings, The Office was nearly canceled, 30 Rock was considered a disappointment its first season, Friday Night Lights just got a third season after nearly getting the ax twice.

I love what I've seen of Freaks and Geeks, but it was the kind of show that was almost too real, too honest to ever get any kind of audience. Scrubs has had a very good run, but it's also lapsed into a bit of self-parody the last season and a half. I think people kind of stopped caring about J.D. as a person awhile ago. NBC may have never fully supported the show, probably because it was too smart for their execs, but it did give the show seven full seasons.

Arrested Development was critically adored, always hilarious, it was completely different than pretty much anything on television, and had it not won all those Emmys after season 1, Fox would have killed it right away. As it was, they could barely stomach it for another season and a half.

If I were a young Hollywood comedy writer, I'd pray like hell my pitches got picked up by NBC, even if it isn't the network it used to be.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Part of what made AD great was also what made it impossible to keep with the low ratings -- the outstanding ensemble cast. That made it very expensive. But it wouldn't be the same show without all those characters.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Cheers and Seinfeld are a different era. they'd never make it, on any network, today.

you're right that NBC has been patient with 30 Rock, but then again, they have a lot invested in that show with so many SNL ties. I thought The Office was fairly safe after its initial six-episode run, but I freely admit I could be wrong. And I don't think FNL has so much been saved as kept on life support. Doesn't it have to air on Direct TV before its reruns air on NBC?

I'm sure NBC is no different than anyone else re: playing favorites, but it never gave F&G a shot to succeed, first burying it on Saturday and then giving it like 30 seconds of on-air promotion the week before its finale. And Scrubs gets about one second of promotion during the NBC clips promoting the return of new shows on Thursday. If I were Bill Lawrence, I'd lapse into self-parody too.

I'm pretty sure we can have this argument about any network. Except ABC, which keeps bringing back According To Jim even though no one in America has ever admitted watching it.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Her?

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OK, I watched the first four eps today. I think it's a lot like Seinfeld in that there's nothing remotely likeable about any of the characters (except Michael).

And the cousins storyline is grossing me out.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Arrested_Development#Justice_is_Blind_.282.29_.5B1.18.5D

Enjoy.

Draft saved Draft deleted