1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discovering Arrested Development

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Apr 10, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Thanks to the wonderful, magnificent, phenomenal Hulu.com, I'm watching Arrested Development.

Season 1, Episode 1: Pilot
    Grade: B+
    Highlight: G.O.B shoving Dad into the Aztec Tomb
    Interest level: 8/10

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I hope you watch all three seasons. Season 1 was good, but season two was absolutely outstanding. I've said it many times before, but I think all things considered this was the best comedy ever on television and I'm also a big fan of Seinfeld, the Simpsons and the 3 Stooges. I think this trumps them all.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Season 1, Episode 2: Top Banana
    Grade: A-
    Highlight: Tobias crying in the shower

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Oh dude, you have no idea what you've been missing.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

As many around here know, Arrested Development is my favorite show of all time. The humor and characters on this show are unmatched in and it's in my opinion one of the top 10 best television shows of all-time, despite its relatively short run. Tobias, Gob, Buster, Lucielle, George Michael, Oscar...comedy gold from the pilot until the final episode.

http://arresteddevelopment.msn.com/

Fantastic website. Every episode of AD, downloads, fan discussions, etc.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I hope they make a movie.

And you'll definitely enjoy it.

7. rube

rube Active Member

This show is unbelievable. Whenever I hear of someone just discovering it ... it's a good thing.

Another example of a WRETCHED decision by the folks at Fox. One of my all-time favs.

Enjoy!

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Season 1, Episode 3: Bringing Up Buster
    Grade: A
    Highlight: Tobias falling out of the director's chair.
    I think I have a favorite character...

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

They are making a movie to be released in 2009. It's in pre-production now...I cannot wait for this. Maybe this film will be a success and the show will get another chance? Look at Family Guy, which was also cancelled for years but got another shot (and has been much more successful), mostly because of very high DVD sales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrested_Development_%28film%29

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The thing is, there are so many great characters that that will change depending on the story arcs. Having said that, Gob, Tobias and George Michael are my favorites.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Tobias is utterly hilarious.

My favorite scene of his is in Season 1 when he tries out for the Fire (Sale) commercial for a boutique. He starts singing Amazing Grace, screaming ("EVACUATE ALL THE SCHOOL CHILDREN! I CAN'T EVEN SEE WHERE THE KNOB IS!"), and rolling around on the floor as the director looks on and a horrified Lindsay waits outside listening.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1296/arrested-development-fire-sale#s-p1-st-i1

I still crack up everytime I see this.

"Um...would you like to try that a little simpler maybe?"
    "...no."

12. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Several thoughts ...

-- A movie scheduled for, say, 2009 will be splendid. I track the news out of Hollywood from time to time, and have read that everything is in place and everyone is on board. Except Michael Cera. Frickin' kid. The show developed him into too much of an up-and-coming star, and now he is busy, almost too busy for the movie. But I have faith the suits will land him.

-- Which is why the television show returning even after a successful movie run in theaters is preposterous. You will need the entire cast, and Cera will not be available to shoot continuously. Too many movies. Too many women. Frickin' kid.

-- Tobias is my favorite character. Without a doubt. I would like to say I see more of myself in Michael than any other character, and I love to watch Lindsay (even if she living with Ellen DeGeneres), and Jeffrey Tambor is hilarious in an extroverted fashion as George Sr., and Will Arnett is absurb as G.O.B. ... but Tobias. Seriously. The double entendres. The closeted homosexuality that he isn't aware of. The jean shorts. Too much. I look at David Cross and I laugh. He talks and I laugh more. Oh, Tobias, you blowhard.

Draft saved Draft deleted