1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

disc burning woes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Mar 24, 2007.

1. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Had a similar problem a while back after iTunes 7.0 came out and I upgraded to that. Turns out somehow, the program killed my cd burner and I ended up having to replace it.

If you move or rename your music library, you can uninstall iTunes without a problem, then just go back to version 6.0.x or whatever. Shouldn't have any problem from there out.

As far as burning goes, if you're not on a Mac, you can use Windows itself to make a music cd without any problem.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Wish I could be more helpful here, but as I said I don't burn with ITunes. As others have said, its likely an ITunes issue.... although there's the possibility it could simply be the brand of disc.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It's iTunes. I wish those trendy dicksnorts at Apple would quit trying to make a guava-kiwi-pear-raspberry-passionfruit sorbet topped with shredded truffles in a oragami crane made of filo pastry (while the chef plays Louis Prima's greatest hits on a zither). Just do the basic thing right, that's all I ask. I'll find a place to stash my music, then trash iTunes 7 and download an "antiquated" version that doesn't suck.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

That blows! Hope that's not my problem. I downloaded a couple of "off-brand" free CD burner programs this evening ("Burn" and "Dragon Burn") and neither one of those worked, so I'm a little anxious. Did the computer folks explain how iTunes screwed your CD burner?

5. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Computer folks? That would be me...

I got turned on to the Windows version of iTunes, and was quite happy with version 6.0.x. Then when 7.0.0 came out, I thought, why not? Only when I downloaded it, I didn't like the wording that it would only allow you to burn the same file seven times, so I decided to get rid of it.

Thing is, installing the new version made a change in the registry and system bios that the computer no longer recognized ANY disc I put into the burner as being blank. If I put in a blank disc, it would tell me that there was something on it, even though there wasn't. It recognized discs that had content on them just fine, but wouldn't allow me to copy anything onto a CD. Uninstalling the cd player and reinstalling it did nothing, so I ended up having to rip it out and put in a new one. I do a fair amount of freelance work that I have to burn stuff to a CD to ship out of state, so not having it hurt me for more than just music.

I'm assuming that you're on a Mac given the need for other CD burner programs. Frankly, if this is the case, then you're best served moving your music library, uninstalling iTunes, then going and hunting on the iTunes site for an older version of the program. My guess is that your burner is fine, given the fact that it at least burns something to a disc and doesn't ignore the fact that you've got a blank in there. If your burner is toast, then I've got no idea on how to replace something like that in a Mac (PC? no problem...).

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He is. Within 3-4 years, no "unregistered" media file will play on any mass-distribution OS. In fact, some variations under development will search your hard drive and erase/corrupt any unregistered files, or lock up your entire system if you try to play such "illegal" files. And, possibly report you over the Net to TPTB for possible further action.

The Guvvmint will be just fine with this, since it's billion-dollar record-company executives powering the RIAA witch hunt, and the Guvvmint has already jumped on board with their campaign, and will continue to do so in the future.

So all the thousands of mp3's you downloaded -- enjoy 'em in the next year or so.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

All this after walking uphill two miles to school through six feet of snow, both ways. And what's all this fuss about color TV?

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

What about my FLAC and SHN files?

Draft saved Draft deleted