1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

disc burning woes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Mar 24, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

When I burn discs, they won't play in the new portable stereo that I bought. But they play in my car. Do cheap stereos not play home-burned discs well?

EDIT: Now, with the latest version of iTunes, they won't even play in the car...or anywhere else.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

No. They tend to not have the updated technology. That's why they're cheap.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

They need to be MP3 compatitable. I have an old cd player that plays them, but they're filled with static. Now that cd player won't play anything. Newer, modestly priced cd players should play burned CDs, but I'd ask the store-based electronic dork to make sure.

4. writing irish

I was getting paranoid...thinking The Man was trying to keep me from playing home-made discs.

Fuck, Douglas-Roberts has four fouls.

5. writing irish

The portable stereo WILL play discs I burned a few months ago. So will the computer. So either I fucked something up in my computer, or there's something fucked up about the newest version of iTunes that I have. I guess it's the former, but it could be the latter.

Sometimes I wonder about the new versions of software that are constantly coming out. Like my cell phone, iTunes has scores of features I will never use. Sometimes I wish they'd focus on the basics.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I use a program called 360sharepro. I think it's linked to limewire. I paid $25 two years ago for a lifetime membership and have downloaded tons of music. So I tried to get it for my sister's computer only to learn it won't work with Vista. I think Bill Gates is in cahoots with the music industry or something. That's my conspiracy theory and I'm sticking to it.

7. writing irish

I am convinced it is an iTunes issue. A quick look at some Mac user boards reveals many users grumbling about CD burning with recent versions. Everything was going fine until I downloaded the latest "update" of iTunes.

Too bad the assholes at Apple won't let you switch back to an older version of iTunes. I tried and it doesn't work unless I shitcan my current version of iTunes...which I won't do until I find a safe place to store my music. Assholes. Guess I'll either find a place to store my music so I can go back to the drawing board with an older version of iTunes...or just wait until they fix the bug and come out with iTunes 7.2.5.186.53 or whatever.

I wish I'd just kept the old iTunes...it worked fine. Focus on the basics, people. I don't need iTunes to tickle my nutsack, stuff manicotti or make a hologram of Obi-Wan Kenobi. I just want to rip and burn music.

Beware new versions of iTunes.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Another good program to use to burn CDs is Nero. Don't know about the compatibility issue with portable CD players, but I've never had a problem with any of the audio CDs I've burned with it.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Indeed. It's so tough to get decent stuffed manicotti.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Any number of issues could be causing the disc to play on one player, but not another.

-- Sometimes its the brand of disc (a CD player will play one brand of burned discs fine, but not another)
    -- Since I never use iTunes for burning discs, my question is this: is it burning the discs as wav files or as MP3 files? If its burning them as MP3s, it could be that the player the disc won't play on isn't MP3 compatable
    -- If its burning them as MP3s, find a freeware program (or use Nero) to convert the MP3s to wav files and then burn the wav files. Then the disc should be able to play in any player. (The wav files show up as CDA if you put the disc in your computer to check what format they're in)

11. writing irish

Thanks for shuffling by this thread, EStreet. 8)

It's burning them as WAVs. In any case, I think it's an iTunes issue as it seems that many other users are having similar problems. I'll be on the hunt for Nero or Roxio...if those programs even run on Macs.

If this fucking thing can't stuff manicotti, maybe it can stuff shells.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Back in the days of albums, you didn't have to worry about stuff like this. You knew your album wouldn't play in the car, so you turned on the AM radio and sang along with whatever overplayed song was on.

And you shut your mouth and liked it, or you were grounded!

Draft saved Draft deleted