1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disaster -- lid stuck on cocktail shaker

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Harry Doyle, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Anybody else ever have this problem? How can I get it off? I've only had one martini tonight and am not in the mood to fight a metallic cup.

This is the large lid (with the vents), not the cap. I've soaked it under warm water, tapped it against a counter, blown in the end (I don't think that suggestion from a friend was legitimate).
  2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It's a tough one, I've had it happen before as well.

Do you have any kind of implement for taking the top of jars? I've heard those are good. Usually I use a drying-up towel since I don't have one myself.

Sometimes it's just a question of trying to get one lip to lift by squeezing the top straight up against one edge so the vacuum disappears.
  3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Can you squeeze the cup (it would have to be hard) about halfway down to try and change the shape of the top? At the same time, try to catch the lip of the lid on a rigid surface, like the edge of the kitchen table or counter.
  4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Turn the shaker top into an oval by pressing the top of the shaker, right under the rim of the cap, against the counter in order to pop it off.

Enjoy your second cocktail!
  5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Got it guys. Thanks. It required serious shots against the counter (at an angle) and finally made some progress. Knew I could count on SJ nation and its collective experience.
  6. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

Drill holes in the top. Wait, do you have an ax?
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That's all you've drank?
Draft saved Draft deleted