1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty New Mexico soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If the BYU player didn't want to be thrown to the ground by her hair, she shouldn't have worn it in a pony tail.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Absent more evidence to the contrary, what Spikes did was a one-time incident in the heat of battle.

What this girl did rises to LeGarrette Blount territory.

She's a thug.

3. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

My son plays U12 youth soccer, (OK a long way from women's college soccer) but there are two types of referees. Ones who call everything, especially early and those who let the kids play.
    Players know if they can get away with stuff they will try it more and more as the game goes on and it usually ends up being a gong show by the end.
    Referees should have clamped down early on this player and then the crazy stuff wouldn't have happened.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The BYU girl elbowed her in the stomach to start the whole enchilada. You get what you deserve.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The elbow to the stomach was barely a bump, from a different girl, in an entirely different play.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Just because some bloody idiot is acting like a bloody idiot does not make it OK for you to act like a bloody idiot.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or, in this case, an exponentially bigger bloody idiot.

The Beautiful Game... (snort)

8. Songbird

It was an intentional elbow. Elbows just don't accidentally find their way into the belly.

We weren't on the field and don't know all of the other incidents that may have led to the hair yank.

9. RickStain

In your opinion, what hypothetical incidents would have justified it?

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm not defending the UNM player at all, and even mentioned in my initial post she had some cheap shots. I still think the BYU player exaggerated the hair pull thing to draw attention to said dirty play.

And stereotypes are often stereotypes for a reason.

11. RickStain

And I think that the only possible explanation for this is that the Large Hadron Collider has created a hole between dimensions in which you and I are posting to the same message board but watching entirely different videos.

12. Songbird

Rick, there was obviously some shit going on in the game for the fullback to have done that. How many other times has the hair yanker yanked hair this season? We would've read or heard about it by now.

Draft saved Draft deleted