1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty New Mexico soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Idiotic.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That video made the local news and I live quite a distance from New Mexico...

I know in the NFL players are allowed to tackle other players by their hair. I wonder what the official rules are in soccer.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Fanboi of who? Certainly not UNM. If you've never seen hair pulled in women's soccer you haven't been watching. Didn't the BYU player stay in the game?

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

So she was acting when she had her hair pulled?

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

That was productive

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's hair-pulling and there's using one's ponytail to throw them to the ground.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Either the girl pulling was the Incredible Hulk or the BYU girl went with it trying to draw attention to the dirty play. Which does seem to be a staple of soccer

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If this was a hockey or football player we were talking about people would be screaming for jail time.

This girl is a thug and should be thrown off the team if she hasn't been already.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yeah, because the BYU player saw the hair pulling coming and I'm sure had plenty of time to think how she would react.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It is illegal. You can't tug on a jersey, you can't tug on an arm, you can't tug on shorts. You can't tug, period.

Really? That is an interesting argument given that just last week a college football player was jamming his fingers into the eyes of an opponent while the guy was on the ground. The end result is no suspensions, no “screaming for jail time,” no fines. Nope, the coach of the team has decided that the “big punishment” will be that the player won’t be able to play for half of the next game.

11. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

No. 15 has no business on the soccer field after that display. However, a chunk of responsibility has to go to the referee, who should have cautioned No. 15 and sent her off for persistent infringement well before many of her actions occurred. No. 15 should be penalized severely, but so should the official. Hopefully, the MWC sees it that way, too. Amazing that at no point was No. 15 sent off. That's a joke.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ever had a ponytail and had it yanked like that? Then how can you say she was faking?

I used to have long hair. Somebody grabs a handful and pulls, your head follows.

Draft saved Draft deleted