1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirtiest college hoops coaches ever...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Speaking of Illinois, I'm wondering how this thread got so far without Lou Henson's name coming up. Henson was constantly linked to all sorts of shady rumors. Although, aside from Bruce Pearl and his tape recorder, I'm not sure if any was proven.

2. WS

WS Member

burst my bubble?

I read through a page and a half of a thread on dirty college basketball coaches, and Rick Stansbury had not been mentioned once. So, I mentioned him.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I used to work in an area that knew Stansbury's BS quite well. I should have said that I also knew. I stand corrected.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Pretty much begins and ends with Tark, who I'm sure had the NCAA compliance office on speed-dial ... although Dave Bliss & anybody that has ever had anything to do with the University of Kentucky have to rank up there.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

1.) Coach K
    2.) Coach K
    3.) Coach K
    4.) Coach K
    5.) Coach K
    6.) Coach K
    7.) Coach K
    8.) Coach K
    9.) Coach K
    10.) Coach K
    11.) Coach K
    12.) Coach K
    13.) Coach K
    14.) Coach K
    15.) Coach K

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Here's a good one: Tates Locke. Started out a squeaky clean guy at Army, but later became a BIG TIME player-buying cheater at Clemson, and then wrote an interesting book ,"Caught in the Net", about how and why he cheated. Nolte's character in the movie Blue Chips was supposedly modeled after Locke.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I wanted to rank Tark No. 1 ... his filthiness is almost unmatched. Then Dave Bliss came along and tried to cover up a murder.

Kudos to Tark for one thing, though: Opening my eyes to the fact that the NCAA plays favorites (Hint: letting UNLV pursue the 1991 national title in spite of obvious infraction found within the program and Tark).

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nothing like a good bad guy to drive up ratings, huh?

Of course, they were knocked off by Duke. Kinda the Iran-Iraq of college hoops.

Still proud to say that, as a UNC fan still nursing my wounds over the Kansas loss earlier in the day, I was the only kid rooting for UNLV at a beer-soaked bash that night. Monday sucked, let me tell you.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I had the opposite sensation. I was a sophomore at Ball State and UNLV had just barely taken out the Cardinals in the Sweet 16 the year before.

It's still the only Final Four I've attended, and seeing Tark walk off the floor in front of me in defeat was sweet indeed.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How soon everyone forgets Bob Wade. The scourge of every city in Maryland except Baltimore.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn, we did forget about Bob Wade, FH. But Gary Williams took a huge ass mop and cleaned College Park up in one big swoop.

Didn't Locke coached at Full of Fail U, or was it Bill Hodges? I get the both of them mixed up. I think it was Hodges who was there when Bird took them to the finals in '79.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You're right on both counts. Locke was definitely full of fail (50-88).

Draft saved Draft deleted