1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirtiest college hoops coaches ever...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Lots of people graduated under Huggins, and lots improved their lives, but why let the facts get in the way of a good legend?

2. Got caught arranging illegal payoffs to athletes on a phone owned by a bookie that had been tapped by the FBI.
    That's some classic rock, right there.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Todd Bozeman.

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

May I nominate Quin Snyder? Thank you.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's no secret that Stansbury is dirty. Sorry to burst your bubble.

7. Sam Mills 51

Selling shoes was dumb as was complimentary tickets to their games at Reynolds Coliseum. Not good at all ... but it was Valvano's wont to do other things - including athletic director - that got him is serious trouble. Recruiting mental giants like Charles Shackleford didn't help anything, either.

He was no saint ... I'll back that part of the quoted post. But dirty along the lines of the other coaches previously listed? Only in Peter Golenbock's ill-researched, poorly written work.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sam, the folks in NYC could tell you some tales of his days at Iona... and so could Jeff Ruland.

Jimmy V was as sleazy and dirty as they come.

9. rube

rube Active Member

I know they've been mentioned already, but Steve Fisher, Bill Frieder and Perry Watson were some of the worst ever.
    Frieder for active cheating like no other during the 80s, Fisher for turning a complete blind eye to the Ed Martin situation and Watson for basically being involved in literally everything. Watson might actually be the worst here. There were several players he tried to buy in the Detroit area (Robert Traylor for example) that he apparently didn't have enough money to pay for.
    Watson is legend around that area for his crookedness.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm still wondering how Gary Grant made it to Michigan instead of Illinois

11. Sam Mills 51

You may be right, S-P ... you've been around long enough and there's enough respect here that I won't go to war on this. But most of what Golenbock fabricated wasn't proven ... and yes, I'm biased but not THAT biased.

I do agree that I suspect Valvano's charm covered up a lot of questionable stuff.

12. rube

rube Active Member

For some sick reason, this thread is one of the best I've seen in a long time. Props to whoever started this.
    Because after all, if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin', right?

Draft saved Draft deleted