1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirtiest college hoops coaches ever...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 22, 2008.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The "kids" are paid. It's called a scholarship, and at some elite institutions it's valued at more than $40K/year. Furthermore, many of these student-athletes are only admitted to their institutions because of their athletic skill. If you don't shoot the 3-pointer but can't make an 800 on the SAT, how many chances do you get to qualify for admission at a competitive school? None. If you can shoot the 3-pointer, you get as many as you need.
    Funny how these things get lost.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

[blue]What? You think it's impossible to build a two-time national champion in a cow pasture without cheating?[/blue]

Calhoun strikes me, in recent years, as someone who has gone completely off the rails.

3. And the NCAA tournament is a multi-BILLION operation, based on cheap labor.
    Your point being?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If the NCAA really cared about the athletes, then raise the academic standards even higher. Don't make the standards, tough sh-t. Spend more time studying and less time on your jump shot.
    [/quote]

And the NCAA tournament is a multi-BILLION operation, based on cheap labor.
    Your point being?
    [/quote]

Like I've said in previous posts, if college sports is a business, then treat it as such. Let the players earn whatever money they want to, get whatever free cars or sneaker deals that they can. The NCAA can only hold onto the amateurism sham for so long. Look at the Olympics.

5. F8vortex

F8vortex Member

Well they have pigs there now too.

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Let's keep the cheerleaders out of this.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yes, low.

Check into his finances, if you feel like it. They're fascinating.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Fizer was going to go pro regardless. Tinsley was just biding time to take off anyway. Did that make Floyd and Eustachy rogue coaches? Hardly. Anyway, the Floyd-Eustachy tenure, for the most part, wasn't all that bad, unless you throw in the Natty Light fiasco. ISU wasn't under probation or faced sanctions.

Sam Mack, who played under Johnny Orr, robbed a Burger King in the middle of Ames. The kid behind the counter ID Mack by seeing the poster of Mack behind the actual Sam Mack.

9. I don't know, D3, Eustachy's tenure was pretty much a festival o'dirtballery.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And then Saint Bill decided mack was good enough for ASU.

This is a good read, but shameful if ASU is your Alma Mater.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1992-09-02/news/students-of-crime/full

Mack and a member of the Iowa State football team held up a Burger King in Ames. Mack carried a knife. The football player had a sawed-off shotgun. They forced workers and customers into the freezer at closing time.

But they were caught when one of the workers escaped and called the cops, who were at shift change only two blocks away. In the ensuing battle, Mack took two bullets in the legs.

During the trial, Mack said that he was forced into committing the crime against his will and that the members of the jury, two of them Iowa State season ticketholders, believed him. He was acquitted. The football player got 25 years.

Frieder had been Johnny Orr's assistant coach at the University of Michigan. All Frieder knew was that Sam Mack was a player with NBA potential, and that was enough to pick him as the very first recruit of the Frieder era at Arizona State.

"Can you imagine what the press in Michigan would have done if I tried to sign a guy like that?" Frieder chuckled to a Detroit News sportswriter. "But out here, they're ecstatic."
    Nobody was ecstatic for long. Shortly after arriving on the ASU campus, Mack was arrested after a co-ed accused him of rape.

What was Frieder's reaction?
    The first thing he did was tell the campus police that since Mack was a member of the basketball team, the rape charge was a basketball matter, not a police matter. When the police leaked this comment to the press, Frieder hit the roof.

"Someone in that office needs to be fired," Frieder said. "No one, not even my wife, knows I made that call. I challenge you all to find out who it was so we can fire his ass."
    What about Mack?
    Frieder assured one and all that Mack was innocent until proven guilty and that his scholarship would continue.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Rape is a basketball matter, not a police matter? Did Frieder honestly think the cops would say, "O.K. coach. You take care of it. Besides, she should have just laid back and enjoyed it once it's inevitable, right?"

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

See, I am not as bothered by by Eustachy at the frat house stuff as I am by the fact that the three of them don't so much give guys second chances as they seem to thrive on bringing in guys who have no business on a college campus. If one of them is at your school, you can bet the admission's officer is reading the Kama Sutra, looking for new and creative ways to get a recruit in the door. That makes them no different than a lot of guys, I suppose, but having seen them firsthand, I guess I'm more inclined to be bothered by it.

Draft saved Draft deleted