1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DirecTV or Dish Network

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I've had DirecTV for almost two years now and it's never been a problem except for the rain, which, when it happens, knocks the signal out. I don't know if that's local or what, but I used to get really pissed off because they once ran that commercial about the guy in the hurricane being the only one with TV.

I don't get any of the additional sports programming except the sports pack, which is worth it just to get my 3 local channels (I think it's $9.95 a month, but don't quote me on that). It's also good for getting out-of-town college sports, and once in a while some baseball games aren't blacked out by accident, but it works well enough for me.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I had Dish for 3-4 years with few complaints. The NFL package would seem to be the biggest selling point DirecTV has.

I went back to cable this past year for the ease in having cable and internet all in one package. And I was pleasantly surprised by how much cable had improved in the 10-some years I had gone without it. I know others don't feel the same way.

My best world ... 8-10 years ago, when I had first bought my BIG dish. It was before scrambling became the norm, and I could just pick up "wild feeds" on anything ... any NFL game, any baseball game, prime-time shows during the daytime or overnight. It was pure heaven. Not to mention getting the East and West feeds on both networks, so I could watch the prime-time programming between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. any night.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Nothing happened. I just wanted to have my TV bill and my internet bill the same. It seemed eaiser to do cable. Also, I did have issues with my dish going out in snow storms or high winds. Now that I live in an even higher wind area, I would be hardpressed to go back. I like cable also because you don't have to sign a contract. I really hate contracts with cell phones and satellite dishes.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've had DirecTV for more than six years and love it. It has gone out maybe twice in all that time, and that was when I was in Florida during some brutal downpours. It didn't go out once during the big snowstorms that hit here in the past two weeks, though I dusted off the snow from the dish just to make sure.

5. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I love my DirecTV. Best move I've ever made, period.

I like the NFL package, but don’t have it. Luckily, I’m in within the satellite spot beam that I can get my Chicago Bears games even though I live 400-plus miles from Chi-town and in another state. All I had to do was change my service address to a Chicago-area address and voila! Bears games all season long. Screw you, NFL Sunday Ticket. DirecTV is pretty cool about looking the other way on this.

Secondly, I had a very minor problem with my receiver and the customer reps were very apologetic. After fixing the problem, they offered me $20 off my programming for the next six months. So I get the top package (worth about $100) for less than $80. It’s great for my significant other and the kids! Plenty of cartoon channels for the little ones to zone out on.

Ah…TV, the perfect babysitter.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

Have had DirecTV for 10 years and for 1 reason: NFL Sunday Ticket.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If I had known beforehand that Rupert Murdoch had owned DirecTV, I'd have gone the other route. But I have it and I like it. I like that they use XM music channels.

8. I have had DirecTV for the past four years for two reasons, Sunday Ticket and I hate Cable. If you really don't care about the Sunday Ticket, which I still contend is the best value in sports entertainment, you can usually leverage either side with it, Cable and Satellite both offer very good deals back and forth, if you are willing to go through the switch. A couple of things I have noticed since switching, DirecTV customer service has been nothing short than incredible for me and the programming packages seem to work well for just about every budget. The only difference I have ever heard abotu between Dish and Direct, other than the football, is in signal strength, dish is supposedly weaker, but someone in the know can feel free to correct me on this. Either way, I just like sticking it to cable.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The Dish Network picture I get is clear and I've had no trouble with a weak signal.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My dad has it in his office and it SUCKS. Most of the time, it's slower than dial-up. It's the only option he has, so he puts up with it, but whenever I've had to use it, I've been ready to through the computer out the window.

11. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I've been a Direct TV customer for 5+ years and have had no issues, although I was originally told by the installer that they wouldn't be able to get a signal. They ended up sending out some kid who had been installing dishes in rural PA and he nailed it and I've never had a problem. I would just compare channel line-ups as there are a few differences. My dad has Dish and I know he gets the Tennis Channel, however I don't.

12. Rambler

Rambler Member

Ugh. I have DISH and hate it. THe signal goes out a LOT, routinely drops channels, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted