1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DirecTV or Dish Network

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

This might seem like as stupid as a Hondo post on Vince Young, but any thoughts on which is better because DirecTV has the NFL package but?

I'm thinking of getting one or the other for the new place and I need opinions.

Thanks!

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Funny you ask, I just signed up for DirecTV tonight ... finally broke down and ordered it.

The special they have going right now was too good to pass up ...I got the 39.99 special (155 channels plus sports pack), free DVR upgrade (or HD receiver) plus free portable DVD player (yeah, I know it's probably a POS but we'll see how long it lasts).

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We have a basic Dish Network package and have enjoyed it, with few complaints.

4. Tommy_Dreamer

How much did you end up paying for the dish/receiver and do you have to pay that all at once or can you spread it out?

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Nothing ... with the deal right now you get a free receiver ... well, you pay the $100 now, but they send you a rebate check reimbursing it for you.

You can create your package at www.directv.com and see what you would pay.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Anyone ever use DirecTV's broadband Internet?

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

On an unrelated, yet related topic: You think if I went to my cable/broadband Internet provider and said I could get what they're offering for $60 (or whatever package that is similar to my cable pack now), the cable provider would consider dropping my rates for the 12 month contract DirecTV is offering?

8. Tommy_Dreamer

That's it. I'm getting DirecTV!

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

They're more or less the same, but I like DirecTV a little bit better.

The guide is a little easier to navigate, and DirecTV has a better HD package if you have HDtv.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This is my biggest concern. I used to have DirecTV and loved it, but that was before I got broadband which is why I switched to cable.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

What happened?

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I have Dish Network and I think that generally it's a better value than DirectTV if you don't care about getting NFL Season Ticket (which I don't). If you are looking for HD programming, Dish Network seems to have more than DirecTV.

I have no complaints with Dish Network.

One thing I like about Dish Network is that I can get the lowest level of programming possible and still buy a sports package such as Center Ice or Extra Innings. With cable, you have to get the digital package in order to do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted