1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DirecTV install rant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stitch, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm trying to get DirecTV at my apartment since the ground finally thawed so I can have a pole mount for the dish. Three install appointments and the same installer still doesn't have the right-size pole.

My local cable company doesn't have much HD, hence the reason why I want DirecTV again.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

TWSS. :p

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

dbstalk.com
    Join the club.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I wanted to go with DirecTV following my most recent move. Installation crew cancelled not once but twice on us, and never offered any worthwhile reason.

Dumped them and returned the equipment in their unopened boxes. Does DirecTV have any clue how poor their customer service is or do they really think their product gives them license to treat consumers like dirt?

5. Actually, I thought DTV ranks higher than any of the other cable operations in customer service year after year?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

DTV is the best product though. Amazing stuff once it is installed.

7. This surprises me and here's why...of all the services I frequent regularly, DirecTV has had the best customer service, by far, of anyone else I use. I am constantly amazed at this.

First, I rarely have any issues with the service but when they do mess something up, I simply call them, they take care of the problem and they ALWAYS hook me up with something free to apologize for the inconvenience. This year alone, I was given the NHL package for free after I complained that Versus was taken off the tier package I ordered). Then, I called in January to upgrade a standard box to an HD box after I got a new flat screen for Christmas and they boosted me all the way up to an HD DVR box for free and gave me the March Madness package for free (they said because of my loyalty, I have been with them for almost three years now).

My advice is to call and complain but do it in a cordial way and you might be surprised at what all they will do for you.

8. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I was going to say this as well. We've gotten all kinds of movie channels for free as a thank you for being loyal customers. We recently knocked a wire loose that wasn't allowing us to change the channel when we were recording a show, and when they came out to fix it, they brought along a free DVR device for our upstairs TV, which had only a standard box at that point.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No company can provide 100 percent top-notch customer service to 100 percent of the people 100 percent of the time.

So the 1 percent who get something less than they expected complain the loudest.

And I would be interested in whether there is any correlation between inferior customer service and impolite and/or impatient and/or unreasonable customers.

My only issue with them is their 4-5 hour window for service calls (pretty much same as cable companies, BTW). My carpet cleaners can give me a 2-hour window. That should be the maximum amount of time anyone should be forced to wait for any service call.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My mom's had DirecTV for at least 8 years and has never gotten anything for free when she's had problems. I'm going to tell her she needs to start asking.

11. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

I'm on board with this one. I've had DTV for about 13 years now, and have had reason to call them about several things, like moves, adding receivers, DVR going bad, poorly-aimed dish, etc.

Without fail, the times I've called about things that I thought were no big deal and was calm about it were the times that I got the best response and got the most free stuff from them. The times I called all pissed off were the times it took the most hassle to get things fixed, and I got nothing but an empty apology from them.

I'm not saying that's the correct way to do things, and I'm not saying this is the case with the OP. But if I was on their end, I'd probably bend over backwards to help the rational people more than the screamers.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It could well be a regional issue. In many other places, DTV is probably very good. It was good to my parents when they had it years ago.

I wanted to switch to it after my latest move. She agreed to it. Then the installers cancelled - and cancelled again. They were the ones setting up the times, not us. And whether or not they were outsources, the DTV number we were given was vague and not at all helpful.

I didn't think I was the least bit demanding, difficult or diva-like. I can be very finicky about some things - friends and family will back this - but for something of this nature, I don't think we were being anything but accomodating. But fact is, if a business feels so free to jerk someone around before they start doling out money, isn't that an indication that they're not going to be any better when you're paying for the service?

Draft saved Draft deleted