1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DirecTV commercials, or how do they do that?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Feb 25, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was talking to BYH tonight, and he didn't know either.

How do they do those DirecTV commercials with the movie stars interrupting the scene to talk about DirecTV? Like Charlie Sheen in Major League, and tonight I saw one with Kathy Bates in Misery.

I tried to look closely, and it didn't look like an extra or like it was dubbed. I just don't get it!

2. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

My guess would be they cut out the actor or actress from the scene using some fancy editing and then they have the actor they paid to blab start acting the original scene and then turn and shill for DirectTV. I'm sure you can even make them look younger if need be, too.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

All i know is it's done by computer. And once you have a recording of someones voice, you can use some kind of software to make the person say whatever you want.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What he said. Some of them are more seamlessly edited than others, but in the "Back to the Future" one in particular, it's pretty obvious Christopher Lloyd is 20 years older than he was in the movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted