1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

directv blackouts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by proudpittsburgher, Apr 10, 2007.

1. So I have this problem that DirecTV can't seem to solve, and I know I'm likely hosed, but I thought I would pose it to the millions and millions on this board.

My regional sports network, previously Fox Sports Chicago, has been swithced to Fox Sports Midwest, which I'm fine with since I can watch the Pirates when they play the Cardinals. I live in Eastern Indiana, so I didn't think I was going to have this problem, but I planned to watch my Pirates lose to the Cardinals on FSMW on Monday, and everything was fine right up to the game, then it said program not available in your area. I know Extra Innings can solve all of this, but last year, I could watch Cubs and White Sox games on FS chicago without problems. Is something different this year that would cause Cardinals games to be blackout out two states away? The game wasn't on ESPN or any other network, so that wasn't the reason for the blackout, and I don't live within the 300 mile range that usually affect blackouts, so I'm lost on this one, and apparently so is the directv guy. He couldn't tell me why I couldn't see it, just that I couldn't. Anyone out there shine some light on this for me before I spend another hour tonight on the phone with the DTV guy? Thanks

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/astrodirt/discussion/419/">
    These maps may or may not help to answer your question.</a>

3. Try kicking the TV.

4. somewriter

somewriter Member

My best guess would be that DirecTV decided FSMW is your "local" regional sports network, while MLB thinks a team other than the Cardinals is your local club. If so, you won't be seeing many games this season. Seems like DirecTV should get you switched back to Fox Chicago. If not, I'd ask them to comp your MLB package for the season and tell them that you'll switch to cable if they don't fix it.

5. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

This may help you figure out your problem, but do nothing for a solution:
    http://www.pjstar.com/stories/040807/KIR_BCS5LH87.073.php

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Why don't you piss on the guy's tires.

7. Thanks so much for the link. It describes my situation to a T. I talked with a fourth guy on the phone today, at this point, i was tryign to manuever myself a comp on extra innings to no avail, which I expected, and the guy basically said it's not our problem. I was pretty t'd off at this point, but I know he's pretty much telling the truth. I was just mad he didn't offer me anything in the process.

8. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

PP,

Call Direct TV again and have the same conversation (including your questions about credits). You may get the same answer, you may get a different one. If you still aren't satisfied, call at least one more time. It's called CSR roulette and it works.

You may not get a credit on the Extra innings, but depending on how long you have been with them, they may give you an equivalent credit on your programming package...so it evens out.

Good Luck

9. somewriter

somewriter Member

You also can find the number for DirecTV customer retention. I don't have it handy but if you search some message boards, you can find it. I've called them before - an actual person usually answers the phone and they are generally more responsive.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If you aren't under contract with them and give the hint you might bail because you're not satisfied with the response, they might cave. But you need to keep at it. A lot of times it depends who you get.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fox Sports Chicago hasn't broadcasted games since 2005. Those rights now go to Comcast Sportsnet Chicago.

Draft saved Draft deleted