1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DirecTV and YES Network

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

DirecTV's contract with the YES Network expires at midnight Saturday.

Stinks since I live in the Yankees market. I guess if a deal can't be reached, I'll hit the streaming sites.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd trade YES for Universal Sports in a heartbeat.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You could always just turn on ESPN.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Dish subscribers could lose SNY, the Mets broadcaster, but those fans won't be missing much.

If Dish Network drops SNY, it won't carry any local sports channel in the New York area.

5. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Except that Yankee games are blacked out on ESPN in Yankee markets.
    I'd think that MLB.TV would pounce on this.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yankees games are blacked out in their home market on MLB.tv. You can watch a delayed feed 90 minutes after the end of a game.

In my area, four teams are blacked out on MLB.tv.

7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

That is messed up.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

YES Network gives DirecTV until Thursday to reach a deal.

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110402&content_id=17281768&vkey=1&oid=

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It was my understanding that DirecTV blacked out a game on ESPN only if it was available in the home market station elsewhere on DirecTV.

If the company is no longer carrying YES, that means the game is not available anywhere else and thus should not be blacked out.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The irony is that Cablevision, who didn't carry the Yankees for a year in a similar dispute, will brag that they have the Yankees and DirecTV customers don't.

Dolan is shameless.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It still would be technically available on YES. It's up to the provider to come to terms with YES on a carriage contract.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My mom is a diehard Yankees fan who switched to DirecTV after the Cablevision dispute. She badmouths the Dolans and stuck with dial-up internet for far too long because her only high speed option was Cablevision. I haven't had the heart to mention that her Yankees broadcasts could be going away.

Draft saved Draft deleted