1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DirecTV adds SEC Network

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/08/directv-provide-new-sec-network-august-14-2014/

Makes it 85 million households at its launch. Bow ye before the vortex of dominance.

Also notable in that DirecTV DOES NOT carry the Pac-12 Network.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The backing of ESPN put the pressure on DTV. Most of the games on the SEC network are shut. Good start with fake USC and AM but most are garbage.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

1) Of course they are. CBS and ESPN still get top pick of games, with the SEC Network largely picking from the leftovers.
    2) The only games they've released so far are during the largely non-conference part of the schedule.
    3) This is largely replacing the JP/Raycom game, which was always the runt of the litter.
    4) And this is the most important thing ... if you're a fan of whatever team is playing, I doubt you care. You're going to find your team whatever channel they're on. If this gets a game on TV that otherwise wouldn't have been (like LSU-Sam Houston State in September), then that's not a bad thing.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

SEC Network: The Official Channel of Kentucky Football

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just like the crew working the JP game probably should have kept apartments in Nashville.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Very disappointed ESPN didn't keep the Three Daves around.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Anyone know if they doing a thing like the Big Ten Network, where every team has to have 'X' number of games on the network every season?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think by definition it has to be a step up from JP/Raycom, since SEC Network will show 45 games and JP/Raycom was less than a third of that.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's a requirement, but it is a selling point -- and one that's not too hard to obtain. There's enough of those Florida-Eastern Michigan and LSU-Sam Houston State games to provide plenty of opportunity. There's even enough second-tier league games to provide an occasionally decent matchup. A&M-Carolina was handpicked, obviously, but Auburn-Arkansas on opening weekend might not be too bad.

10. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Will the SEC network eliminate the need for any PPV games? I know there weren't many of those left for many schools. Just wondering.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Any word on FIOS yet? Isn't that the only major provider yet to reach a deal for the SEC Net?

Draft saved Draft deleted