1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DirecTV acknowledges proposed deal for exclusive Extra Innings rights

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecTV

You can only allow 2 computers at a time. So in theory, if you were dying to watch the Braves game (good for you!) as well as the Yankee game (what's wrong with you?) then you could have your laptop connected to one TV, and your desktop connected to another and watch both games!

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecTV

I have two roommates, and between the three of us, we have a Cubs fan, a Braves fan and a Dodgers fan. I guess you could say our paper has geographically diversified its sports staff. Anyway, all three of us are fantasy baseball losers, and we all have laptops and a wireless router, so we can all watch our games with no problem. The Braves are on every day regardless, but I'm pretty sure we've all been watching different games at one time with no problems. Maybe I'm wrong and it's just been two at a time, but I thought the wireless router bypassed this problem???

My problem is this ... my roommates have pcs, and I have a mac, and I can't blow the game up for my whole screen like they can. Anyone know how to do this on a mac?

3. Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecTV

Two options that I can think of. 1.) I'm not very familiar with Macs, but if you have a Mac with a single button mouse just hold it down (over the window) and it will bring up a menu with options. If you have a double button mouse, then just right click and something like "enlarge" or "fit full screen" . 2.) Download MLB Mosaic and it will have a full screen feature.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecTV

I have a one-button mouse and try the first without success. Will try the second ... thanks.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It will be iiteresting to see how much of a subscription bump mlb.tv gets from this move. I was going to finally break down and get the cable package but I definitely won't be putting up some ugly ass satellite dish on my house.

6. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

has there been an official announcement yet? if not, directtv has gotten a headstart in describing itself, as found in this tagline at the bottom of an unrelated BusinessWire story this week...

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to more than 15.6 million customers through exclusive content, industry-leading customer service (which has surpassed cable for six years running) and superior technologies. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy over 250 channels of 100% digital picture and sound; exclusive programming and the most comprehensive collection of sports programming available anywhere including NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM), and MLB EXTRA INNINGS(TM). DIRECTV (NYSE:DTV) also leads the digital television technology revolution with exclusives such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET SuperFan(TM), US Open Interactive and YES Network Interactive and will soon have the capacity to offer over 150 channels in HD. For the most up-to-date information on the Company, please visit directv.com.

7. JHaugJr

JHaugJr New Member

Direct TV can boast of Extra Innings as a current offering , but not an exclusive, which is exactly how it is described in the excerpt above.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecT

If you want to complain about the pending move, a good guy to e-mail is Bob Bowman (bob.bowman@mlb.com). He actually read my e-mail and responded. It sounds like this still is going to happen.

I suggested that they at least should offer online discounts to Dish or cable customers who purchased Extra Innings last season. He responded:

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Actually, though Bowman and MLBAM should get a huge boost to their mlb.tv subscription business, I think Brosnan and his folks probably negotiated the deal. Bowman's just the beneficiary.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

so is this going to be for this season?

11. donnie23

donnie23 Member

That is my understading, yes.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecT

It looks like Sen. Kerry is taking up the cause, but I'm not sure what he can really do:

Draft saved Draft deleted