1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DirecTV acknowledges proposed deal for exclusive Extra Innings rights

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 8, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Re: DirecTV wants Extra Innings package to itself

It looks like this is really going to happen:

As a Dish customer, this stinks. I'll have to say that DirecTV likely will jack up its prices if they are paying what his report says they're playing.

As long as this doesn't happen to Center Ice!!!

2. Fubar

Fubar Member

Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecTV

Yay for idiots! Yeah!

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecTV

If Directv would smarten up and add the Tennis Channel, they'd be perfect.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed on the tennis channel. They finally got the Golf Channel off the sports tier.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Looks like it's DirecTV in 2009. Can't go without Extra Innings.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This ticks me off something fierce.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Friend's response to the news: GAY.

UnPC-ness aside, it's hard to argue with him.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I bet Iowa is blacked out by the Twins, Cubs, White Sox, Royals and Cardinals. Maybe even the Rockies.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Drop the Rockies and add the Brewers and you're probably right.

But, for example, if you live in Des Moines you get access to the Cubs, Twins, Sox & Cardinals through one of the Fox/Comcast regional channels. So unless you're a Brewers fan you're still ok.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Has anybody tried the broadband version of Extra Innings?

11. donnie23

donnie23 Member

That's all I might be left with. I am NOT switching to DirecTV, no f'in way. Being in a market with six blacked-out teams -- and may I repeat, NONE of which play in my city and only TWO of which show games regularly -- I was already getting screwed in this deal when I could order it on cable. And this is the thanks I get. Awesome.

I am already looking into ordering MLB.TV and running a PC-to-TV converter so I can watch on a 36-inch screen instead of my laptop. I just can't believe this is the BS I have to go through just to watch some baseball that I'm already paying a premium to receive.

One day of this news and the media reax -- universally negative -- are already rolling in:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AnJtNlPMWP7UmA5pF5Zj3psRvLYF?slug=dw-directv012307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AkfEEGUI_wZZD6yKpp0gr.ERvLYF?slug=cnnsi-mlbsbrushbackpi&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

(And Buster Olney dedicated the first part of the blog to angry emails today, but I don't have Insider access to get the text up here. Passan was already beating the drum on the ridiculous blackout setup, and MLB found the only way to screw this up any more than it already was scrambled.)

12. Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecTV

this is depressing as hell

Draft saved Draft deleted