1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DirecTV acknowledges proposed deal for exclusive Extra Innings rights

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 8, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

According to Sports Business Journal, DirecTV wants to work a deal with MLB to make Extra Innings exclusively available to its customers just like NFL Season Ticket. I can't decide if this would be a good move or a bad move for MLB, but being a Dish Network customer with a one year commitment, this would stink.

Here's a blog entry on this:
    http://blogs.marketwatch.com/barnako/2007/01/directv_wants_m.html

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: DirecTV wants Extra Innings package to itself

Since Congress is looking into the NFL's monopoly with DirecTV, this is odd.

3. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Oh, please no. I can live with going to a bar on Sundays to see the team I follow play, but I LOVE being able to come home and watch baseball whenever -- even if I do live in the most heavily blacked-out market in the country (six teams -- none of which play in my city -- claim my town as a home market, including two that play a 10-hour drive away from me). I hate the way the Extra Innings package works, but I still don't want to lose it.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Only one cable provides the MLB Extra Innings package in Canada. And, as luck would have it, that cable provider does not service my area.

It sucks.

So, for those Dish Network subscribers, I feel for you.

5. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I find this very irritating DirecTV... sure it makes good business sense, but I want the NFL Ticket and the only way to get it is to get a dish... but I can get the NBA, MLB (for now) and NHL package on cable... just not the NFL. That annoys and irritates me! [/endofwhine]

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

wtf? ok, so where do you live and which are these six teams? i'm assuming you live on the east coast.

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

this would both suck and blow.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The only place I can think would be in New York. You could have the Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Phillies, Orioles and Nationals.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How would that make any sense? I'm guessing there's a city somewhere out west where Arizona, San Diego, LA, Anaheim, San Francisco, and Oakland all try and lay legitimate claim. Somewhere that has a lot of sand.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I didn't say it made sense, I was just guessing a city that would be close to six MLB teams.
    Out West I could see somewhere like Utah having Seattle, Colorado, San Francisco, Oakland, Arizona and either LA or Anaheim - whichever is farther north.

11. donnie23

donnie23 Member

This is the correct answer and the correct six teams.

It's asinine. We get enough Dodgers and Angels games on cable for them to stake their claim. We get occasional Padres and D-backs local broadcasts, maybe five to six games per year, not enough to mention. We get no local A's or Giants broadcasts.

12. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

You must live in Vegas.

Vegas and Iowa are the only two places in the country with six home teams.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/tools/med/2006/06/ipt/1150742098.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted