1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Director, Sports and Media Program, Austin, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Man, does this one intrigue me.

Director, Sports and Media Program
    Employer: The Texas Program in Sports and Media
    Job Status: Full Time
    Salary: no information provided
    Posted/Updated: 10/2/2009
    Job Category: Media/PR/Broadcasting
    Finance/Admin/Management

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The College of Communication at the University seeks a leader for a newly developed Sports and Media Program, intended to foster interdisciplinary dialogue and research on sports, media and culture. The program will build on existing College strengths in entertainment studies, film, television, new media format, and journalism. One of the nation’s best athletic programs at the University as well as nearby professional sports franchises provide valuable potential partnerships for the program.

The Director will teach one or two courses a year in the general area of sports and media with a concurrent appointment as senior lecturer, oversee a small administrative staff, and help build a program endowment. Oversee development of an Olympic archive, organize an annual symposium on sports and public policy, and provide long-term planning for the Program. Work with faculty members in the College and across campus, generate local and national publicity for the program, and serve as its main ambassador and fund-raiser.

Required: Bachelor's degree. Ten years of experience in the general area of sports and media. Applicants must have a broad vision of the intersection of sports and media in society, well-established relationships with media personnel, and in-depth knowledge of intercollegiate and professional sports. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate. Preferred: Master's degree. More than 10 years of experience in the general area of sports and media. Experience with start-up operations including concept-design, budgetary oversight, and employee supervision.

Screening of applicants will begin November 16, 2009, and will continue until the position is filled. The search is being overseen by Dr. Steve Reese, Associate Dean of the College of Communication. Applications can be filed online for complete description and to apply for posting number 09-09-11-01-0379.

Security sensitive positions, Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

With so many of these kinds of gigs, the lack of a Master's disqualifies you right off the bat. Good for them to not make it mandatory.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Off topic but slightly related: How much does a Masters degree really matter when seeking a high-level beat position. I've heard of guys coming right out of college and landing a pro or high-profile Division I job (Chris Snow with the Boston Globe). Or would it be more productive to get the two years of experience under your belt than going back to school?

Not even thinking about going back, but just curious.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't think a Masters does you one bit of good in the "real world."

Where it would come in handy is for gigs like the one mentioned here.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The "real world" of hiring right now is much, much more prosperous in higher education than journalism.

6. ReyHeath

ReyHeath Member

Where was this posted originally?

7. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

I graduated in Dec. 2008 and looked for a job for about eight months before I got my first gig. During that time, I was considering going back for a masters when football season started again to defer the loans, stay in my hometown and give myself a reason to continue stringing for papers in the state covering the team. A lot of professionals (and even some teachers) I talked to said that getting a higher degree isn't the best route right now if you want to work for a paper because it automatically means a paper has to pay you more because of the extra diploma. Paper's want cheap labor and a BA is cheap.

That and a lot of those masters grads don't seem to do a lot of work in the real world (jobs, stringing, internships). At least, that's what I saw in my program. We had two grad students my final semester as part of our "practice paper"... Good Lord. Borberline retarded when it came to copy editing, design, hell even basic writing. Of course that's what you get with an English major... from Clemson.

Draft saved Draft deleted