1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Director of Media & Community Relations - Albuquerque Thunderbirds NBADL team

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by imjustagirl, Nov 9, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://nbateamjobs.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/r.cfm?i=21784

I have no idea on pay range or cost of living. Sorry. :(

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Five months ago ... :/

New Mexico's warm, so that's a plus... :)

3. My guess would be the $20-25k range... That's pretty typical in the world of Minor League sports.

I'd also be shocked if this position didn't include some marketing - so there's probably a good chance of a commission-based salary tacked on the end of the base salary.

Don't expect to get rich with this job. Expect to work long hours.

If you can handle that - then go for it.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

I need a green card. Who wants to marry me?

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I know three guys who worked for the D-league in its infancy in this position. None stayed more than 2 seasons.

Two are now in sales in town, the other is an SID at a Division I school in Louisiana.

Expect low pay, lots of hours.

6. That's the nature of Minor League sports. People get burned out quickly in that enviornment, and you have to absolutely love what you're doing to be there for any length of time.

I still would reccommend this position - or the Chicago Fire position - to anyone looking to make the move into media relations. They're both great gigs for those who want to work for a professional sports franchise. But apply with caution because - as anyone who has ever worked in that field will tell you - it is low pay and long hours.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Lots of hours, yes, but many simply being "on-site" and visible in the office.
    There's only so much you can do, before your work is done.
    Update your stats, contact the entities that want the info.
    Yes, there will be some marketing, but I think you'll go home to your "other" life soon enough each day.
    Especially in the off-season.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not so much during basketball season.

9. Glen Rosales

Glen Rosales Member

Albuquerque is a great town and you don't need a green card or a passport to get here or stay here.
    Pay is relatively low, but the folks you'll be working with are great. It's good basketball, just a notch below NBA.
    Cost of living is about average. Decent nightlife for those who care about that sort of thing. Great outdoors stuff (hiking, cycling, skiing, backpacking). Triple A baseball in the summer, fresh green chile in the fall.
    I work this beat from the writing side (I'm fairly low maintenance), so I know the organization. Hours aren't horrible during the season except on game days. I don't believe there's much marketing involved, but community relations is part of the gig; scheduling players for appearances, etc. Season starts day after Thanksgiving so they want someone quick.
    This wouldn't be a bad entry into that side of the business and for the most part, you'd be running your own show.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Uh ... let me in on the secret ... why isn't a green card needed in New Mexico?

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Director of Media & Community Relations - Albuquerque Thunderbirds NBADL tea

Because, believe it or not, there are people in this country who aren't sure if New Mexico is a real state. Even its license plates say "New Mexico USA," just so the idiots don't get confused.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

20-25 in Abq would hurt. More so than many places.

Draft saved Draft deleted