1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Director John Hughes: Today's JD Salinger

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Salinger equivalent, with all due respect, is Terrence Malick.

But Hughes was a good writer, yeah.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Blasphemy on both counts! :D

3. Sly

Sly Active Member

Dude, that movie had Jennifer Connelly in the middle of a Target, bouncing on an oversized ball while wearing a wifebeater ... How can it be an utter abomination?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

A 20-year-old Connelly bouncing around was awesome, but man that movie was awful otherwise.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you like Jennifer Connelly, just rent The Hot Spot...

I'll agree that Career Opportunities had nothing other than Connelly in a tank top...

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It would be the worst movie ever if it were in a Wal-Mart.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Until someone tries to take a shot at a sitting president while clutching a copy of Pretty In Pink, the comparison is useless.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I like Sallinger. I do. I think Catcher was a provacative book for its time, and a good book at present. But it's no Gatsby. And some people are way, way too into it, claiming that it speaks to their rage and anger and whatnot. If we're talking American authors, there are a lot of people I'd slide in ahead of J.D. Even Steinbeck, who most literary scholars turn up their noses at, has a better body of work that Sallinger. It's not that he's bad. He wrote some beautiful short stories. (Although, even in that form, Tobias Wolff is far superior.) He wrote one good book. When he dies, and he finally allows the (alleged) reams of unpublished manuscripts in his safe to be published, we'll be able to evaluate him better. But right now, there are a lot of American authors I'd consider better.

As for the Breakfast Club, it's a very watchable movie and one I'll always enjoy, but its underlying message is kind of hokem. Plus, if you talk to any of the kids who identified with Ally Sheedy's character, they'll tell you how much they hate it because, in the end, she puts on some makeup, makes out with the jock, and suddenly she's not so weird anymore. Basically, she conformed.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I just saw a chunk of "Breakfast Club" the other day and I totally agree. I wasn't that big a fan in the first place, though.

People acted like it was some great reflection of high school life. Uhh, no. I was a senior in high school when it came out. It was absolutely nothing like high school in that era. (On the other hand, "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" was dead-on.)

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

I heard that Hughes wrote the original version of what is now Drillbit Taylor, the new movie with Owen Wilson. If I remember correctly, Judd Apatow got it and had Seth Rogan and someone else update/rewrite it.

Or maybe I'm making things up.

EDIT: and then I read the story and saw the Apatow quote three graphs in.

Draft saved Draft deleted