1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dips*** publisher asks reporters to die so paper's pension can profit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Jan 29, 2014.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A new low in journalism has been reached in Orange County.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2014/01/kushner_and_hiltzik_both.php

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So that's why the company health plan now offers a smoker's discount.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Up next: "May we have your first-born son for desk duties at age 11?"

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Child labor laws prevent us from paying him, but we'll give him a slice of pizza for his time."

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, well, I'm sure it's not the first time the thought has crossed someone's mind.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You guys have never heard of "janitor's insurance" or "dead peasants insurance"?

7. joe

joe Active Member

It's a Morris paper. Whadda ya expect?

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wait, they have pensions? All we gots is a 401k and a promise that they might match again, someday, in the far distant future.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Most places have pensions from a quarter-century ago, before 401(k)s became standard.

My former shop replaced its pension with an ESOP and 401(k) match around 1990 or 1991, but because I joined there in 1986, Tribune will pay me $760/month for life beginning in 2026. Anybody who joined Tribune after 1991 or so will have no pension.

There are still thousands of former (and soon-to-be-former) employees who are counting on those pensions, so it's no surprise a company would try to ensure that it's funded without having to dip into the regular corporate till.

10. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

As someone who will be getting $22 a month from this pension plan I invite all my coworkers to start taking up Bungee jumping and parachuting. Or just cover the Sochi Olympics.

Draft saved Draft deleted