1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dinner Date

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Genco_Olive_Oil, May 18, 2008.

1. O.K. So you hear this question all the time: If you could have one dinner with any person, dead or alive, who would it be, and why?

Most of us would reply with the name of a deceased relative or friend, but for the sake of the question, how about we keep the question to more well-known individuals?

As for me, I think about this question all of the time, and I never have a set answer. Today I'm going with Ernie Pyle, but ask me right after I see The Godfather and I'll say Brando.

And I forgot to mention why---I'm a huge WWII buff and Pyle is clearly a journalism legend. I don't think we'll ever be able to understand---unless we lived at that time---what he and newsmen like Murrow meant to the American population. Pyle was like the Forrest Gump of WWII---he saw all of the important battles, including Normandy, which I rate as the most significant day in the 20th century (though that opinion doesn't carry much weight).

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Billie Joe Armstrong.

I just find the cat to be extremely interesting. I'd like to see what he thinks of the state of music today and get his thoughts of the past, what really got him into music. Plus he seems like a really fun dude. I'd be the envy of all my friends.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Stevie Nicks.

She has this uncanny ability to write words that get to the heart of what I'm feeling in a way that I can't. As derided as she sometimes is even within Fleetwood Mac because of her limited musicianship skills, she even blows musical maestro Lindsey Buckingham away with her lyrical prowess.

I'd love to be able to sit down and discuss writing with her, among other things.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

That's not exactly the way I heard the story.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Aw c'mon! She's had more hands up her dress than Miss Piggy.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mama Cass.. .I want to see if, she had to do it all over again, she'd get a ham sammich...

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a girl named debbie ... she's from dallas.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ.

"Before we sit, may I see your hands?"

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Gosh. So many choices.

At the moment, the commander of the battalion I'm trying to get into after flight school /shamlessasskisser

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Robert Anton Wilson
    James Joyce
    Julius Caesar

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hmmm...that's a tough one. Mike Boorda, the former enlisted sailor who rose through the ranks to become CNO. FDR, to discuss how he might view today's social policies and issues. Dick Winters, from E Company, 506 PIR, 101st Airborne.

And Genco...I agree with you. The Normandy invasion easily ranks as one of the most pivotal days/events in the last 100 years.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Et tu, Buck?

Draft saved Draft deleted