1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ding out at OC Register

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Sep 5, 2013.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Just got word Kevin Ding is leaving the OC Register Lakers beat for..... Bleacher Report.

2. Boozeman

Boozeman Member

Wow. Anyone know the story here? Ding is one of the best on the Lakers beat. Is Bleacher Report paying more than Kushner?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow is right.

4. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Is it true that, in his years of covering the Lakers, Ding never asked a question? That's what another NBA writer in LA told me, though I find it hard to believe of a beat writer in any sport.

5. Mizzougrad96

Never is a long time. I've covered a handful of Lakers games and I remember Ding asking questions. Granted, that was a long time ago, but I can't imagine anyone getting away with not asking questions on a beat like that one.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

He's been writing pieces for Bleacher Report for awhile so not a total surprise he'd make it full-time. Always liked his coverage although when it went behind the paywall I wasn't reading it any longer. If the Lakers hadn't been what the Lakers were in 2013, I would have paid for it.

7. Mizzougrad96

There have always been very good Lakers writers even away from the two LA papers. I'm not sure who all is covering them now, but Riverside used to have a great beat writer, I think he left several years ago, not sure... And Ding was always worth a read.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Brad Turner left Riverside years ago to become the Clippers writer at the Times. He since has shifted to the Lakers beat, with all his contacts throughout the NBA.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Ridiculous. I know some beat writers who go light on questions in the group settings, so as not to put their work in the street for everyone else. And nowadays to not provide the programming for all the freeloading TV and radio carrying pre- and post-game opps live. Granted, it is bad form if you free-ride on all the stuff asked by others in the group, then try to get all your stuff 1-on-1. But I highly doubt this is the case here. Impossible to cover a beat for any length of time without doing your own axing, of coaches, players and management types.

Draft saved Draft deleted