1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I like Guy. I prefer Guy's Big Bite to Triple D. I watch it regularly, but it just makes me hungry. There are several things he's made on GBB that I have fixed that have turned out to be regulars in my kitchen.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Goddamn right. Two chili dogs and an FO, and I'm in heaven.

And I'll echo most posters here: I haven't been too impressed with the offerings I've seen on D-D-D's. Now, "Man vs. Food," on the other hand ... there are great recommendations from that show.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . as featured in Friday's USAT.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Most overrated crap in America. Hey, there are fries and slaw on the sandwich.....because there isn't any meat! Good gimmick, mediocre sandwich.

Anyone who's ever had a good NY deli sandwich will cry at Primanti's.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

About as horseshit as a paper thin slice of pizza.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I love the show, but I have two complaints. I'd like him to visit some of the areas around the country he's never been to, and too much of the food is too good too often. Just once I'd like to see him take a bite of something and say, "It's not bad." Of course, then you'd have another show: "Chefs That Chase Unwanted Visitors Out Of Their Kitchen With Large Knives."

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Summit Diner . . . the only place I know of where the ham is cut off the bone. It's not square and it doesn't come in a can.

Cajun chicken sandwich at Willie's Tavern in Bedminster: holds down the No. 1 spot on my list of best sandwiches I've ever had.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This place has probably been mentioned before, but you haven't lived until you've had a chili omelet at the Camillia Grill in Uptown New Orleans at 3 a.m. on a Sunday morning.

And watching the drunk Tulane sorority chicks is a bonus entertainment value not to be missed.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I was wanting to see if I could hit a few DD&D places with my trip coming up - driving from Alberta to Chicago and back, although we are likely dropping down south through Saskatchewan into Montana, through the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin and into Illinois. No real path is set yet, was actually going to come on here looking for recommendations, and now seems like as good a time as any . . .

Any place I gotta hit along or near that route?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Comet in Milwaukee looked good. How can you go wrong with bacon?
    There were a shitload in Minneapolis (Psycho Suzie's Pizza looked good), and depending on your route back, there's a burger joint in Cloquet that looks outstanding. Rosie sent me a pic from there a few weeks ago just to taunt me.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

All the ones in my state are by the Gulf.... I'd love for one to be within 100 miles of Hooterville...

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

You're guaranteed to have a clogged artery after eating there.

Draft saved Draft deleted