1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diminishing sports talk radio talent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Speedway, Apr 1, 2010.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

PMS is occasionally listenable, if you can ever get used to Petros's nails-on-a-chalkboard voice. I find it to be a bit different from the usual in sports talk ... except for when Adam Carolla is on doing his tired schtick that was tired 10 years ago. Then, I find something else to listen to.

Myers and Hartman? Absolutely brutal.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The funniest part of Myers and Hartman is when Myers' connections get them real interviews (as opposed to the "We're talking to Natrone Means' UNCLE!!!" garbage prevalent when his partner was Bill Werndl), Myers is talking, and Hartman jumps in with his loud mouth and his stupid questions, confusing the subject.

Unlistenable radio.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Glad to see ESPN is bringing back Chuck Wilson, who was The Man in Providence before the biz got crazy. He and Tony Bruno were a great team - Chuck was the tether that kept Bruno attached to earth.
    On the old 790 The Score, Scott Cordischi and Andy Gresh had the same kind of relationship - Gresh's frat boy act got completely out of control after they were split up.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The only guy I still try to listen to, and I usually catch the replays on their website, is the Common Man Dan Cole out of KFAN in the Twin Cities. He's hard to describe, certainly not the typical sports guy. The Sports Sports Sports Meldtown, available on his page, is always amusing.

http://kfan.com/pages/psn_dancole.html

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I directly credit 680 The Fan and 790 The Zone in Atlanta with my acquiring satellite radio.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

While I'm not a big fan of recruiting news, I do like to listen to the Bill King show on Rivals radio. It airs on Sirius/XM in the mornings. Only national show I can know of that is strictly college sports. 98 percent is hoops & football but they will mix in some baseball & a few other things from time to time.

7. fishhack2009

Pickings are pretty slim here in the Carolinas, too. 610 the Fan in Charlotte has two local shows and one regional show, and that's it. The regional guy isn't bad, but the local guys seem pretty bush league for a town of Charlotte's size.

8. fishhack2009

What does satellite radio go for these days?

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Ugh. My only option in the car is ESPN syndication.

Cowherd is fucking horrific.

Van Pelt and otherguy are either awesome or very dull.

I generally like Gotlieb.

Everything after him (4 p.m. central time, I think) is terrible.

But it all beats the small-time local station where, a few weeks ago one of the hosts refused to continue talking about what university was the nation's best quarterback factory after he threw out Michigan. "Tom Brady. End of discussion." This after a detailed discussion on the Packers drafting Brett Favre.

10. fishhack2009

Does WNDE even count any more? Did they replace JMV with another local show? As I recall, he was the only local programming they had during the day .... FSR for the rest of the day, except for Rome from 12-3....

And Eddie flying solo? Fail.

11. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

One of the big problems with sports talk radio right now is that there's little emphasis on developing talent. Most decent sized market stations had program directors that focused on making the shows sound better, but now those guys are likely to have been let go in cost cutting and their position combined with someone else's. The PD at my station's a great guy, but he's doing a morning show on a music station and is responsible for operating four stations with different formats. When's he going to have time to focus on coaching hosts to tighten up areas where they've gotten sloppy?

The other thing that's killing sports radio is the "put a name on the air" mindset epitomized by ESPN. Brian Kenny's a talented TV guy, but tonight I heard him doing his fantasy baseball draft live on national radio - absolutely awful, but that's what you get when you have a guy with three other things on his plate also being asked to do a radio show. Most people aren't radio naturals, and guys who don't have the time and/or passion to develop their skills and find their right style are going to be very bad at it. Despite that, station after station features guys treating radio as a second or third gig who don't wake up thinking "how can I have a good show today" - and because of that, they don't.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Still off the air. Last I heard he was working on a deal to get on a station in Wichita Falls, but that fell through.

Draft saved Draft deleted