1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DII national championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shoeless Joe, Dec 18, 2010.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

U of Minnesota, Ohio State has Jim Tressel.

This is what you missed out on. A program builder and a winner above.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The argument always thrown back at me when I would recommend Nielson for any Division I job is "why doesn't he go be a coordinator at a Division I"?

Now that I'm older... I see why: Nielson is a '1'. A leader. That is what he prefers. He wants control, accountability and to run the show.

Far, FAR too often these major schools hire the "hot coordinator". Sometimes it works. Many times it does not. Not every '2' can be a '1'. Not every great reporter is a great columnist. I'm the same way in my own career - I could have gone to larger markets as a reporter but I like being an anchor. Like the 'high risk/high reward' lifestyle where we are either kept or fired after every ratings period.

Nielson has proven to be a superior '1' at every level -- low Division III (Ripon), high Division III (Eau Claire), low Division II (his first stint at UMD), higher Division II (with more scholarships)...

He adapts around his personnel.

And wins.

So let me get this right. Minnesota hired a guy like Brewster - a man with zero head coaching experience - but wouldn't even take a flyer on Nielson. "Me thinks" they were too worried about what other people thought about that hire.

Well... what does everyone think of the Brewster Era at Minnesota? Yeah, I thought so. And what does everyone think of Minnesota's choice to "hire Indiana-style", that is, take the hot MAC coach and then fire him in a few years when they don't make the Rose Bowl?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If Nielson wants a challenge, forget Minnesota. Go back to the WIAC and knock off Whitewater. Please, before Whitewater and Mount Union play in 13 straight title games.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I enjoy DII football. A lot of people dismiss it. The competition is just as good. It's just not an "event" on TV each week.

I always tell people, if you want to have an enjoyable afternoon at a football game, have a chance to know the players and get home 20 minutes after the game, that's the place be.

5. exmediahack

The day he had to dig in his own pocket to pay for McDonald's for 75 players after Eau Claire lost in the 1998 national semifinals made the Duluth job a touch more appealing... his AD didn't have that in the budget for after the game.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

They beat my Johnnies that year in the quarters, 10-7, when SJU fumbled on the one-yard line in the final minute. I remember thinking before the game, even though I think Eau Claire was unbeaten, how good can Eau Claire be? Very good.

7. exmediahack

I was there, camera in hand. Couldn't believe what I was watching.

Eau Claire had actually lost TWO games coming in but won the WIAC because, I believe, three teams were at the top at 5-2 in conference. They lost to Stevens Point on a missed FG and lost by 28 to Stout. Stout?!? That year, Stout was coached by Ed Meierkort -- the man who led South Dakota to the win at Minnesota this year...

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I taped this game and watched when I got home from shopping. It was really competitive and fun to see.

When you make field goals outdoors, you are earning your money.
    Great job by both teams. Both were organized and prepared.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed the fine work of West Texas A&M from a distance. That's a D-II program that runs its athletic department like a D-I and it shows in every sport.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Right down to the drug scandals.

Draft saved Draft deleted