1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital voice recorders ... I'm shopping

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pilot, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

True, true. I forgot that part. It costs $60 for that one.

2. happygirl

happygirl Member

Don't own an iPod. Didn't know it records, but it sounds like a great idea. My question would be this: isn't it kind of heavy? I know the Nano is light, but my son's regular iPod isn't exactly a lightweight. Holding my light little Olympus with an outstretched arm for any period of time can be chore.

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

[​IMG] Within the last calendar year, I've seen somebody using one of these with an external mic.

I almost told him he couldn't use it without a wearing fedora with a press card.

4. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

No, it's not heavy. You can hold it up in a scrum pretty easily for extended lengths of time. The new recorder piece plugs into the bottom of it, though, which can make it somewhat awkward to hold at first, but you'll get used to it. The old one plugged into the top but was phased out of production for the one with better sound quality.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Acutally, I found it for less -- $47.99 -- at Staples just a few months ago ... a little research could probably locate somewhere else where it's a little less than that ...

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Some of the legends in this business still use the old-time recorders... I know a few who think the mini-cassette is too high tech for them. Make them use a digital recorder and their heads would explode...

7. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

I've tried to talk a few of the dinosaurs on my beat into going digital, but they're very set in their ways. I even volunteered to walk them through using it, but they'd rather stick with the minicassette. One time during the season, an executive said to me, "Why are you the only one with a high-tech recorder?" I struggled for a diplomatic answer before an onlooker hit me with, "Because he doesn't spend money on clothes."

So much for diplomacy...

8. Slash

Slash Member

Where can you get the Ipod recording attachement, and how much does it cost?

9. KP

KP Active Member

$50

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=158384

10. Slash

Slash Member

It doesnt work with a nano? ??? I think I am getting one of those for Xmas. Crap.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The attachment I use is called iTalk and I think it was about $40 at Best Buy...

Draft saved Draft deleted