1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital voice recorders ... I'm shopping

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pilot, Nov 20, 2006.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Me, too. Small, light and pretty intuitive.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the olympus ones usually do work fine with a mac. i've had two olympus recorders and both worked flawlessly with my mac

and on the minidisc, i used to use amindisc and i like the size and convenience of the digital recorder better -- same with the ipod. plus i don't want to run down my upod battery using it to record. much better to always have aaa batteries as backup for my digital recorder

3. Jam3131

Jam3131 Member

I agree with everybody in here about the Olympus - they are pretty pricey...but worth it.

I have never tried the ipod though - is it really that good?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd recommend the Olympus DS-330. Oh wait.

How long did yours last, Pilot? I'll be a sad camper when mine goes.

Olympus has been very good to me (this is my second one) so I think I'll stick with them down the road.

The best thing, to me, is the ability to download everything on the computer. No more piles of tapes to sort thru. I can't believe anyone still uses tape. [/digital snob]

5. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

I have the Olympus as a backup -- but I never use it, because the IPod crushes it in every meaningful measurement. The only thing the Olympus can do that the IPod cant is record telephone calls via a RadioShack attachment.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Can I do it with a mini? That's the only Ipod I have. I've seen the microphone attachments for the big ones, but never for a little one.

7. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

No, as far as I know, there is no attachment for the Mini. But the Apple store would have a definitive answer on that.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I got it early on in college, from my parents right after I got my first (what I tought was a real) job at the campus paper. So, like probably about five years. I loved the noice cancel effect, and the fast playing or slow playing part. I didn't love how it didn't have a ton of space. The Sony I'm using at the moment (and want to return) does have a ton of space, but it sucks in many other aspects.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sony pretty much sucks at everything. Except the TV I'm staring at.

Their walkmans would last about a day back in the, uhh, day.

I'd be careful about letting anyone else know you got the Olympus as a gift while in college. Hondo might call you spoiled.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

BRILLIANT! Sold!

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I must concur. I use my 30 gig video, and it kills anything else on the market. Get the Belkin attachtment for it. I don't like the memo one with a microphone.

12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I second the comments on the Sony ICD-P320 (easy to use, holds LOTS of files even at its highest-quality setting, relatively inexpensive, etc.), but will add one thing -- the recorder also comes with software to allow its user to save the sound files to a computer. That has come in very, very handy for me personally, since there have been times where I've done interviews that I've gone back to days or weeks later for quotes and information.

Draft saved Draft deleted